Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Hiding the toolbar, menubar, etc?

Hiding the toolbar, menubar, etc?

Code Monkee

How can the toolbar and menubar be hidden in IE?

When opening the window via javascript I can specify
'toolbar=no,menubar=no', which works fine.
However if the window already exists how can I remove them? If the browser
is Netscape I can use javascript:
window.toolbar.visible = false;
window.menubar.visible = false;
but IE produces the error:
"'window.toolbar.visible' is null or not an object".
Is there a different window attribute or method I should use, or do I need
to do this with VBScript?

Thanks.

Toby A Inkster

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:34:06 -0500, Code Monkee wrote:

> How can the toolbar and menubar be hidden in IE?
>
> Is there a different window attribute or method I should use

There is no method you should use. People tend to like their toolbars.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | (E-Mail Removed) | pgp:0x6A2A7D39
aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:(E-Mail Removed)

spaghetti

"Code Monkee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can the toolbar and menubar be hidden in IE? [in the main window]

You can't, and why would you want to? This would make your visitors simply
*hate* you. They wouldn't be able to leave your site. They wouldn't be able
to go back to what they were doing. They wouldn't be able to open their
Favorites. It would be a bloody mess. Your visitors would probably storm to
your house with rope, straw, and torches.

> Is there a different window attribute or method I should use, or do I need
> to do this with VBScript?

Irrelevant, both JScript and VBScript use the same DOM.

Andrew Davidson

"spaghetti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wp_Qa.3318$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> This would make your visitors simply
> *hate* you. They wouldn't be able to leave your site. They wouldn't be able
> to go back to what they were doing. They wouldn't be able to open their
> Favorites. It would be a bloody mess. Your visitors would probably storm to
> your house with rope, straw, and torches.

I'll bring the rope. Assemble up by the old mill at midnight. We gotta fight for
them toolbars boys.......

--
Andrew Davidson

Mark Parnell

Andrew Davidson wrote:
> "spaghetti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wp_Qa.3318$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
>> This would make your visitors simply
>> *hate* you. They wouldn't be able to leave your site. They wouldn't
>> be able to go back to what they were doing. They wouldn't be able to
>> open their Favorites. It would be a bloody mess. Your visitors would
>> probably storm to your house with rope, straw, and torches.

> I'll bring the rope. Assemble up by the old mill at midnight. We
> gotta fight for them toolbars boys.......

I'll be there. But keep it quiet - we don't want them to know we are
coming...

--

Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

spaghetti

> > I'll bring the rope. Assemble up by the old mill at midnight. We
> > gotta fight for them toolbars boys.......

> I'll be there. But keep it quiet - we don't want them to know we are
> coming...

Ooookay, I put together a list of things we need. Let's make sure we do this
proper, alright?

- Duct tape
- Pickaxe
- Shania Twain CD
- Rubber hose
- Dish to pass
- Paper plates
- Napkins
- Can of gasoline
- Blow torch

Mark Parnell

spaghetti wrote:

> Ooookay, I put together a list of things we need. Let's make sure we
> do this proper, alright?
>
> - Duct tape
> - Pickaxe
> - Shania Twain CD
> - Rubber hose
> - Dish to pass
> - Paper plates
> - Napkins
> - Can of gasoline
> - Blow torch

You forgot the earplugs so *we* don't have to listen to Shania Twain.
Other than that, looks like we're set.

--

Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Andrew Davidson

"Code Monkee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can the toolbar and menubar be hidden in IE?

How can I get into your house and hide all the furniture?

--
Andrew Davidson

DU

Andrew Davidson wrote:

> "Code Monkee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>How can the toolbar and menubar be hidden in IE?

> How can I get into your house and hide all the furniture?
>
> --
> Andrew Davidson

How can a radio station hide all the other knobs and buttons by which an
user could choose the volume setting, radio station and other
customization features available on a radio?

How could a tv broadcasting corporation implement a device working via
waves which would prevent listeners from going to the bathroom (or
leaving the living room) while advertisements are playing?

How can an application take over full and absolute control over (and
impose brutally its preferences) its users, customers via the
application, software, device which is supposed to promote its product,
respect the intelligence of its users, visitors, listeners, customers?

How can an application impose brutally its preferences to its users,
customers via the application which is supposed to promote its product,
respect the intelligence of its users, visitors, listeners, customers?

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:

Talc Ta Matt

For all you people bashing this guy for wanting to do this, there are many
legit situations where it can be useful.

I've seen this on some photo art sites. Instead of popping the photo up in the
same window, they use a bare bones popup that's stripped of everything and
resized to the exact photo dimentions.

It's also very useful to use with a sized help screen popup.

As for it not working in all browsers, the only mainstream browser that matters
is IE, and that's what nearly everyone uses (most web stats don't go below
95%). The rest is mostly Netscape, and those users obviously don't tweak it
like Mozilla users do. Mozilla and Opera are primarily utilized by developers,
and make up an extremely small portion of browsers in use.