Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > any quick fixes for MAC/IE anomalies ...? (borders and a.link stuff)

Reply
Thread Tools

any quick fixes for MAC/IE anomalies ...? (borders and a.link stuff)

 
 
Bailee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2003
i design pages on a PC - and of course assume that the vast majority of
veiwers will be using PC's as well. However, much to my chagrin, I was in a
Mac store, drooling over the new G5 notebook (amazing 1440x900 hi rez
screen, onboard dvd burner! wow!) ... anyway, I noticed on some of my pages
that I lay out (where I use a 1-px border around tables), the borders were
BLACK instead of the 1-px/white/'3-d' look on my PC.

Interestingly enough, this was IE on the Mac, whereas Netscape on the Mac,
they looked fine.

Does anyone know any code snippets that might make my table borders look
that same spiffy 1-px white "3-d" look when viewers use a Mac with IE?

On my page, I also had set up several CSS styles in the header of the doc,
including one style for links. On the mac, the "visited" (and possibly
"active") extensions of the link styles - insteading of yeilding a tan or
light grey to contrast my dark blue background, yielded an unsightly dark
purple.

Any feedback on why this Mac (IE - i think?/) would not render CSS properly?

thanks for any observations ...

Bailee


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jacqui or (maybe) Pete
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2003
In article <%NvPa.64586$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> i design pages on a PC - and of course assume that the vast majority of
> veiwers will be using PC's as well. However, much to my chagrin, I was in a
> Mac store, drooling over the new G5 notebook (amazing 1440x900 hi rez
> screen, onboard dvd burner! wow!) ... anyway, I noticed on some of my pages
> that I lay out (where I use a 1-px border around tables), the borders were
> BLACK instead of the 1-px/white/'3-d' look on my PC.


URL?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bailee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2003
> URL?



here's a test page that I'm using to troubleshoot my styles & colors etc:

http://www3.telus.net/sunoma/


the CSS I'm using on this page (embedded in header), renders a tan color for
the "active" state of the LINK and a grey color for the "visited" state of
the LINK.

On a Mac with IE6, they both render dark purple, almost indistinguishable
from the background color of the page.

The first TEST LINK goes to this page:
http://www3.telus.net/sunoma/prem/test2.htm which is formatted with a table
on a tan-colored page. The table on PC-IE5-6 systems renders with a 1-pixel
white '3-d' look table border; on the MAC-IE, it renders a black solid
border that looks about 2 or more pixels wide.

I know that my CSS is not totally WW3 compliant; I still use the deprecated
bgcolor attribute for table backgrounds, but I doubt if it would fix the Mac
problem if I formatted table backgrounds from a CSS command (however I would
be willing to try if it's a possible solution!)

cheers,

Bailee


 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Pugh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-12-2003
"Bailee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>here's a test page that I'm using to troubleshoot my styles & colors etc:
>
> http://www3.telus.net/sunoma/
>
>
>the CSS I'm using on this page (embedded in header), renders a tan color for
>the "active" state of the LINK and a grey color for the "visited" state of
>the LINK.
>
>On a Mac with IE6, they both render dark purple, almost indistinguishable
>from the background color of the page.


And in Opera. Not tested in anything else.

Your CSS has this:

..a.link1:link {}

The . indicates a class. You have nothing in your HTML with class="a"
therefore these styles don't apply to anything. Hence the browser
default is used instead.

If you want to apply a style to an HTML element then just use the
element name. e.g.
a.link1:link {}

Steve


--
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you,
I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Steve Pugh <(E-Mail Removed)> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bailee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-13-2003
thanks Steve. can't believe i've been putting an extra dot in my styles for
longer-than-i-care-to mention! funny, that they work fine on IE/PC
tho'.....??

not sure what to do about the black borders that show up as 'default' on
MAC/IE browsers.... anyone?

Bailee


 
Reply With Quote
 
Geoff Ball
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2003
Bailee <%NvPa.64586$(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.html:

> http://www3.telus.net/sunoma/


That bar across the screen repeats on me (above about 1030 pixels wide).

You're using <a href="javascript:blah">, which isn't a good idea.

You should make your links more distinguishable.
ie. a {text-decoration:underline;}

Incomplete doctype.

<URL:http://68.145.145.156:8080/doctypes.php#html401transitional>

> thanks for any observations ...


Regards,
Geoff

--
http://68.145.145.156:8080/
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Geoff_Ball
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Web_Core_References
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bailee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2003
thanks Jeff, I realized that the gradient in my 'bar' is only good for
windows about 1000 px wide or less, so I will have to lengthen the gradient
so it doesn't repeat. as far as the javascript window for popup credits
goes, it's working fine on all platforms, so I didn't have a problem with
it. Popup windows are a new phenomenon for me, so i'm unaware of which is
the best form.

My real remaining question was the linked page <
http://www3.telus.net/sunoma/prem/test2.htm > and why the 1-px table border
(normal white, 3-d appearance on IE/PC) look like black 2-px bars on
MAC/IE5+... so far no one has suggested any workarounds for that..

Bailee


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Parnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2003
Bailee wrote:
> as far as the javascript window
> for popup credits goes, it's working fine on all platforms, so I


Assuming the visitor has JavaScript enabled, which luckily I don't.

> didn't have a problem with it. Popup windows are a new phenomenon
> for me, so i'm unaware of which is the best form.
>


The one that doesn't popup.

http://diveintoaccessibility.org/day...w_windows.html

--

Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au


 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby A Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2003
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 05:17:37 +0000, Bailee wrote:

> not sure what to do about the black borders that show up as 'default' on
> MAC/IE browsers.... anyone?


table {
border-top: thin solid #eee;
border-right: thin solid #777;
border-bottom: thin solid #777;
border-left: thin solid #eee;
}

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | (E-Mail Removed) | pgp:0x6A2A7D39
aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/ | "You've got spam!"
playing://(nothing)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2003
In article <IlMQa.9550$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Bailee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My real remaining question was the linked page <
> http://www3.telus.net/sunoma/prem/test2.htm > and why the 1-px table border
> (normal white, 3-d appearance on IE/PC) look like black 2-px bars on
> MAC/IE5+... so far no one has suggested any workarounds for that..


A border is a border, right? If you want more detailed stuff, you have
to apply CSS. Better even, dump all the presentational HTML and use CSS
only, for appearance sake.

--
Kris
(E-Mail Removed)erlands (nl)
"We called him Tortoise because he taught us" said the Mock Turtle.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
eclipse quick fixes johnmmcparland Java 1 12-10-2008 11:21 AM
ANOMALIES TRYING TO COMPILE JAVA CODE FROM WITH IN A RUNNING JAVA APPLICATION lbrtchx@hotmail.com Java 1 07-28-2005 08:08 PM
Dealing with inheritance anomalies in Java Colin Paul Gloster Java 5 09-27-2004 07:19 PM
Nikon D70 Mem Card Anomalies? Harry Krause Digital Photography 14 09-05-2004 07:03 AM
Windows XP "anomalies" Darren Dar Computer Support 2 02-09-2004 10:28 PM



Advertisments