Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Font with fancy speech marks

Re: Font with fancy speech marks

Steve Pugh

"PeterMcC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Marc wrote:
>> I'm looking for a font I can use on the web (a common one) that as
>> curly speech marks, meaning " where they look like "Little 6s and 9s"
>> as my little brother says.
>>
>> I thought Times New Roman had them, but it seems not.

>Most fonts - including TNR - have them but the 66s and 99s are outside the
>standard character set so, for web pages, you need to code them rather than
>just using "..."
>
>In the HTML you should use:
>‘ for a single opening quote - a "6"
>’ for a single closing quote - a "9"
>“ for double opening quotes - "66"
>” for double closing quotes - "99"

Nope. Those numbers are undefined in HTML.

“ or &ldquo;
” or &rdquo;
„ or &lsquo;
‟ or &rsquo;

Steve

PeterMcC

Steve Pugh wrote:
> "PeterMcC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Marc wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a font I can use on the web (a common one) that as
>>> curly speech marks, meaning " where they look like "Little 6s and
>>> 9s" as my little brother says.
>>>
>>> I thought Times New Roman had them, but it seems not.

>> Most fonts - including TNR - have them but the 66s and 99s are
>> outside the standard character set so, for web pages, you need to
>> code them rather than just using "..."
>>
>> In the HTML you should use:
>> ‘ for a single opening quote - a "6"
>> ’ for a single closing quote - a "9"
>> “ for double opening quotes - "66"
>> ” for double closing quotes - "99"

> Nope. Those numbers are undefined in HTML.
>
> “ or &ldquo;
> ” or &rdquo;
> „ or &lsquo;
> ‟ or &rsquo;

I've used the method that I described above extensively without being aware
of any problems - I do appreciate that the "aware of" is significant - but
now I know better

Thanks

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Chris Harris

> >> I'm looking for a font I can use on the web (a common one) that as
> >> curly speech marks, meaning " where they look like "Little 6s and 9s"
> >> as my little brother says.
> >>
> >> I thought Times New Roman had them, but it seems not.

> >Most fonts - including TNR - have them but the 66s and 99s are outside

the
> >standard character set so, for web pages, you need to code them rather

than
> >just using "..."
> >
> >In the HTML you should use:
> >‘ for a single opening quote - a "6"
> >’ for a single closing quote - a "9"
> >“ for double opening quotes - "66"
> >” for double closing quotes - "99"

> Nope. Those numbers are undefined in HTML.
>
> “ or &ldquo;
> ” or &rdquo;
> „ or &lsquo;
> ‟ or &rsquo;

I didn't know that. Where is it defined? ie. where can I find a full
listing?

CJH

Greg Schmidt

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/guide/entities.html
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...al_characters/
http://www.webpageworkshop.co.uk/main/character_codes

--
Greg Schmidt ((E-Mail Removed))
Trawna Publications (http://www.trawna.com/)

Steve Pugh

"Chris Harris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Steve Pugh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> “ or &ldquo;
>> ” or &rdquo;
>> „ or &lsquo;
>> ‟ or &rsquo;
>>

>I didn't know that. Where is it defined? ie. where can I find a full
>listing?

The HTML specification lists all the character entity references (the
&name; form) - http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/sgml/entities.html

Numeric character references use the Unicode position. So consult a
Unicode reference for a full (very large) list.

But be aware of all the surrounding issues. There's some good reading
at http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/chars.html and the various
pages linked to from there.

Steve

Chris Harris

> Numeric character references use the Unicode position. So consult a
> Unicode reference for a full (very large) list.
>
> But be aware of all the surrounding issues. There's some good reading
> at http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/chars.html and the various
> pages linked to from there.
>
> Steve

Thanks I'll go off and educate myself some more!

Daniel R. Tobias

PeterMcC wrote:

> I've used the method that I described above extensively without being aware
> of any problems - I do appreciate that the "aware of" is significant - but
> now I know better

Invalid stuff can sometimes give the appearance of "working" in some
particular situation, but it is still a better idea to follow the standards.

Some of my pages on character set issues:
http://webtips.dan.info/char.html
http://mailformat.dan.info/body/charsets.html

--
== Dan ==

PeterMcC

Daniel R. Tobias wrote:
> PeterMcC wrote:
>
>> I've used the method that I described above extensively without
>> being aware of any problems - I do appreciate that the "aware of" is
>> significant - but now I know better

> Invalid stuff can sometimes give the appearance of "working" in some
> particular situation, but it is still a better idea to follow the
> standards.

Agree entirely, that's why I drew attention to the "aware of".

> Some of my pages on character set issues:
> http://webtips.dan.info/char.html
> http://mailformat.dan.info/body/charsets.html

Thanks.
--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

not dust marks - water marks! pshaw@emmet.com Digital Photography 0 04-14-2005 05:53 AM
OT: Matrix-like Ping pong without "fancy" camera tricks.... Matt MCSE 1 09-17-2003 03:37 PM
speech marks ??? mark | r ASP General 0 09-03-2003 08:08 AM
Re: Font with fancy speech marks Tim Radford HTML 2 07-10-2003 08:13 AM

Advertisments