Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: centering a div

Re: centering a div

David Graham

"DU" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bea5vp$31g$(E-Mail Removed)...
> David Graham wrote:
> > I know this has been done to death but I never thought IE6 behaved as

badly
> > as IE5 and IE5.5 as regards centering. The code below should not center

the
> > red bordered child div but it does. NN7 gets it right and leaves the red

div
> > left aligned. See screen shot of appearance in IE6
> >
> > whats going on? - you can see from code in screen shot that IE6 is not

in
> > quirk mode.
> >
> > Any thoughts please
> >
> > David

http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...IE6Bugs/MSIE6B
ugs.html
> and see bug #3.
>
> If you remove text-align:center, which serve no purpose really in your
> external div, then all W3C web standards DOM-1 compliant browsers will
> (should?) render the page exactly the same.
>
> David, please avoid loading images like that: instead, just give an url
> otherwise people paying for traffic get to pay for considerable bytes
> even though they might not read at all this thread.
>
> DU
> --
> Javascript and Browser bugs:
> http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/

Sorry about the image - will provide URL next time. My point, was I thought
text-align: center was only supposed to align inline elements like text or
images (in modern browsers in standard mode) - I was surprised that IE6 made
the same mistake as older versions i.e. IE5.5 or IE5

or am I not understanding this properly?
thanks
David

centering <div> in <TD> shank HTML 3 07-27-2012 01:38 PM
centering div within a div Steve Richter ASP .Net 4 07-16-2007 11:27 PM
NS/FF don't change div offsetWidth when div innerHTML is added toand div becomes wider mscir Javascript 3 06-26-2005 04:04 PM