Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: php or cgi

Re: php or cgi

Leif K-Brooks

tom watson wrote:

> I am doing a form for a website and learning the best method. I note some
> sites use cgi scripts and some php.
>
> They both seem to produce the same type of results so what is the benefit of
> one over the other

CGI is not a programming language, it's a protocol for processing
requests. I'm guessing you mean Perl, which is what most people mean
when they say "CGI".

PHP is often easier than Perl for web programming, since that is exactly
what it was designed for. Form variables are handled automatically, for
example.

PHP is faster than Perl/CGI when used as a server module, but the speeds
are probably about the same when both are used as CGI. I don't have
statistics handy, though.

Perl may have more example code and libraries available, since it has
been around longer.

Toby A Inkster

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 07:07:23 -0400, Leif K-Brooks wrote:

> tom watson wrote:
>
>> I am doing a form for a website and learning the best method. I note some
>> sites use cgi scripts and some php.

> CGI is not a programming language, it's a protocol for processing
> requests. I'm guessing you mean Perl, which is what most people mean
> when they say "CGI".

And to confuse matters even more, you can run a PHP script via CGI...

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | (E-Mail Removed) | pgp:0x6A2A7D39
aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:(E-Mail Removed)