Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Jeeves catering

Re: Jeeves catering

Blindsya

"PeterMcC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qPbNa.46929$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Blindsya wrote:
> > Hi, I have been making websites for a long time and would like to
> > update a site for my friend. I want to know what everyone thinks of
> > their current site www.jeeves-catering.co.uk as i think it is poorly
> > coded with bad design.

> This site has been produced with a DTP package - and it shows.
>
> As an example, the entire textural content of the page at:
> http://www.jeeves-catering.co.uk/page29.html
> consists of:
> "MAIN MENU
> HOT VEGETARIAN CHOICES
> 9.95 per person
> Please add VAT @ 17.5% to above price
> All Dishes served as part of the Luncheon/Dinner Menu and Hot Buffet Menu

or
> as a complete Vegetarian Meal"
> which is a pity when there are 16 dishes apparently described.
>
> And I know it's an easy criticism but...
> there are 245 errors on the w3c validator which is good going for a page
> with 241 lines.
>

> --
> PeterMcC
> If you feel that any of the above is incorrect,
> inappropriate or offensive in any way,
> please ignore it and accept my apologies.

Also I have only just noticed that the menu is made using images! Is this
not a criminal offence yet and why do people not consider accessabilty???

Jacqui or (maybe) Pete

In article <be3huf$6ck$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> "PeterMcC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:qPbNa.46929$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> > Blindsya wrote:
> > > Hi, I have been making websites for a long time and would like to
> > > update a site for my friend. I want to know what everyone thinks of
> > > their current site www.jeeves-catering.co.uk as i think it is poorly
> > > coded with bad design.

> > This site has been produced with a DTP package - and it shows.
> >
> > As an example, the entire textural content of the page at:
> > http://www.jeeves-catering.co.uk/page29.html
> > consists of:

> Also I have only just noticed that the menu is made using images! Is this
> not a criminal offence yet and why do people not consider accessabilty???

Not necessarily a problem if you supply appropriate alt text & use a
separate image for each link.

But, yeah, the way they've done it here is a shocker.

Blindsya

"Not necessarily a problem if you supply appropriate alt text & use a
separate image for each link."

I don't know if you realise what menus I am on about. These are the menus
i'm on about http://www.jeeves-catering.co.uk/page29.html, try these for
shocking!

PeterL

Blindsya wrote:
> "Not necessarily a problem if you supply appropriate alt text & use a
> separate image for each link."
>
> I don't know if you realise what menus I am on about. These are the
> menus i'm on about http://www.jeeves-catering.co.uk/page29.html, try
> these for shocking!

You seem to have a good knowledge of what is wrong with the coding of these
pages so why spend time "slagging them off"?

While I agree DTP programmes are not the best for html they do a quick and
easy job. A lot of people start off with this method then progress to
proper html etc.

I assume you have the task of rewriting these pages and look forward to you
posting them for the "critic" when they are completed.

PeterL

Jacqui or (maybe) Pete

In article <be3jgc$7g5$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> "Not necessarily a problem if you supply appropriate alt text & use a
> separate image for each link."
>
> I don't know if you realise what menus I am on about. These are the menus
> i'm on about http://www.jeeves-catering.co.uk/page29.html, try these for
> shocking!

Ye gods, yes, that's amazing.

I was talking about the links menu to the left of the main page, which
is pretty ghastly put certainly pales in comparison.

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:40:10 +0100, "Blindsya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Also I have only just noticed that the menu is made using images! Is this
>not a criminal offence yet and why do people not consider accessabilty???

That surprised me - usually a Microsoft Publisher site has the entire
text coded as one huge GIF !

This site isn't bad. It's not good, but in the great pile of Real
Horrors out there, it's nothing like as bad as the typical ones.

I'm sure you can make it much better - go to it.

On or around Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:40:10 +0100, there was a message,
possibly from "Blindsya" <(E-Mail Removed)>, as follows:

>Also I have only just noticed that the menu is made using images! Is this
>not a criminal offence yet and why do people not consider accessabilty???

Yes, the way around it for this site is to make only one cartoon
baloon image. Then use text in a div whose background is
set (using CSS) to a copy of the baloon image, and whose size is set
to the size of the baloon image. Center the text. These divs could
be embedded in list elements to form the menu.

Doing it this way allows you to use CSS hovers on the text, and you
only have to download the baloon once.

HTH

On or around Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:27:48 GMT, there was a message,
possibly from m <(E-Mail Removed)>, as follows:

>On or around Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:40:10 +0100, there was a message,
>possibly from "Blindsya" <(E-Mail Removed)>, as follows:
>
>>Also I have only just noticed that the menu is made using images! Is this
>>not a criminal offence yet and why do people not consider accessabilty???
>>

>Yes, the way around it for this site is to make only one cartoon
>baloon image. Then use text in a div whose background is
>set (using CSS) to a copy of the baloon image, and whose size is set
>to the size of the baloon image. Center the text. These divs could
>be embedded in list elements to form the menu.

Forgot to say, you have to modify the list elements' display style
for this to validate.