Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How to change the cursor pointer from arrow to hand?

How to change the cursor pointer from arrow to hand?

Venkat

Hi,

I wrote this piece of html code
to display the text "Your Name" in my browser and also when u
take ur cursor to the text("Your Name") it shows a tooltip just below
the text saying "His Name is Venkat".

Usually the mouse pointer will be a arrow, is it possible to change
the pointer to show "hand" when i take my cursor to the text.

Regards
Venkat

Pre Defined Tags

Pre Defined T

Mark Parnell

Venkat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Usually the mouse pointer will be a arrow, is it possible to change
> the pointer to show "hand" when i take my cursor to the text.

cursor: pointer;

But then the user will think it is a link, so you should rethink why you
want to do that.

--

Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Venkat

Yes thats a good point that user may get confused.
My requirement is there should be some indication(changing
the cursor from pointer to any other symbol) to
user when he takes the mouse to the text so that it can
have his attention that their is some explanation about
that text provided as a tooltip.

Can we change the cursor from pointer to some other
X.gif image(when he moves his cursor to text)
assuming that i have got X.gif file located at "C:\images\X.gif".

Regards
Venkat

news:3f03b79f$0$(E-Mail Removed)...

Venkat wrote:
> My requirement is there should be some indication(changing
> the cursor from pointer to any other symbol) to
> user when he takes the mouse to the text so that it can
> have his attention that their is some explanation about
> that text provided as a tooltip.
>
> Can we change the cursor from pointer to some other
> X.gif image(when he moves his cursor to text)
> assuming that i have got X.gif file located at "C:\images\X.gif".

You can change it to a custom cursor file
cursor : url("mything.cur");

but I'm pretty sure a gif file won't work. I don't know offhand of a
program that will allow you to create your own cursors, but I'm sure someone
here can help. brucie?

BTW: How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

--

Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Kris

In article <1057211343.535217@sj-nntpcache-5>,
"Venkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Usually the mouse pointer will be a arrow, is it possible to change
> > > the pointer to show "hand" when i take my cursor to the text.

> > cursor: pointer;
> >
> > But then the user will think it is a link, so you should rethink why you
> > want to do that.

> Yes thats a good point that user may get confused.
> My requirement is there should be some indication(changing
> the cursor from pointer to any other symbol) to
> user when he takes the mouse to the text so that it can
> have his attention that their is some explanation about
> that text provided as a tooltip.

How about
cursor: help;

--
Kris, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)erlands (nl)

Danin

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 15:57:34 +1000, "Mark Parnell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
| I don't know offhand of a program that will allow you to
| create your own cursors

Whether it will show depends on the browser. You could expand that for
compatibility to:

cursor: url("mycursor.cur"), url("mycursor.gif"), auto;

Icon editors such as Iconforge will do the .cur files, though -
www.cursorarts.com

- return address is altered slightly to reduce spam.

Jacques Koorts

Sorry I'm so late by replying, i've just started html,css and all this new
****.

That cursorointer is that true css? My css editor complains about it.

"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f03b79f$0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Venkat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Usually the mouse pointer will be a arrow, is it possible to change
> > the pointer to show "hand" when i take my cursor to the text.

> cursor: pointer;
>
> But then the user will think it is a link, so you should rethink why you
> want to do that.
>
> --
>
> Mark Parnell
> http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Mark Parnell

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:11:09 -0400, "Jacques Koorts"
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> That cursorointer is that true css?

Yes.
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/ui.html#cursor-props

> My css editor complains about it.

Then I suggest you get a better one.

BTW: Please don't post upside-down.

Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Rob McAninch

Jacques Koorts <news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

> "Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:3f03b79f$0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Venkat wrote:
>>
>> > Usually the mouse pointer will be a arrow, is it possible
>> > to change the pointer to show "hand" when i take my cursor
>> > to the text.

>> cursor: pointer;
>>
>> But then the user will think it is a link, so you should
>> rethink why you want to do that.

I agree you are messing with a 'standard' part of the user
interface.

> That cursorointer is that true css? My css editor complains
> about it.

Since your new to CSS you might want to Read The Fine Manual

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/ui.html

Perhaps your editor doesn't know CSS2, since CSS1 didn't include
this property.

Also, this http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ will probably be
more reliable to evaluate your CSS in the future.

--
Rob - http://rock13.com/
Web Stuff: http://rock13.com/webhelp/