Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How to learn CSS I have...

How to learn CSS I have...

naitsirch79

I have homesite and dreamweaver. But what is the best way to learn css.
The one site I am doing the tute with says something about getting style
master to edit your css. What I have will do that or is there something
better recommended?

brucie

In post <JhrMa.2077$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com>
naitsirch79 said...

> what is the best way to learn css.

plain text editor. yes, really. same with HTML

--
brucie a. blackford. 02/July/2003 12:37:11 pm kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

Mark Parnell

naitsirch79 wrote:
> I have homesite and dreamweaver. But what is the best way to learn
> css. The one site I am doing the tute with says something about
> getting style master to edit your css. What I have will do that or
> is there something better recommended?

I don't know about Homesite, but Dreamweaver is pretty shocking when it
comes to CSS. I always edit the CSS in a text editor (Notepad will work
fine).

--

Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

naitsirch79

I am getting the demo from topstyle,

That seems to be the best one out there, nothing but good reviews, and
supposed to be better than even homesite.

hehehe, we shall see.

spaghetti

"naitsirch79" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JhrMa.2077$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com.. .
> I have homesite and dreamweaver. But what is the best way to learn css.
> The one site I am doing the tute with says something about getting style
> master to edit your css. What I have will do that or is there something
> better recommended?

Try to stay away from Dreamweaver, but Homesite is OK, since it's a
text-editor at heart.

Cutting and pasting from an older post of mine:

http://www.westciv.com/style_master/.../css_tutorial/

And though it seems too complex to consider, the reference on W3 is actually
quite good and easy to understand. Lots of stuff you can skim through. I'd
suggest practicing all the things you learn here with a good CSS browser
like the latest Mozilla or Opera, and then later you can learn the
workarounds required to get your pages to look nice on crummy browsers.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/

Chris Morris

"naitsirch79" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Oh and I hate text editors. you have to save then view in browser, yada
> yada yada. When I first got my home site I was so happy. I will never go
> back to .txt pad.

Hmm, I hate "WYSISWG" editors for about the same reason. You have to
save, then view in browser, then open a text editor to fix all the
holes the editor put in your code (a decent text editor beats a
"WYSIWYG" editor's code view mode for ease of use any day), *then*
view in browser again to check you got them all.

And if you're going to test the site in multiple browsers anyway, one
extra step to test it in the first one doesn't seem like a lot of
work, especially since most "WYSIWYG" editors have their *own* HTML
rendering engine not found on any browser.

--
Chris

brucie

In post <7HrMa.2245$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com>
naitsirch79 said...

> Oh and I hate text editors. you have to save then view in browser, yada
> yada yada.

only the basic ones

try edit plus http://www.editplus.com/

--
brucie a. blackford. 02/July/2003 05:52:08 pm kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

Daniel Vesma

> Oh and I hate text editors. you have to save then view in browser, yada
> yada yada. When I first got my home site I was so happy. I will never go
> back to .txt pad.

Is it really that hard?

Alt+F
Alt+TAB

DV

Matthias Gutfeldt

naitsirch79 wrote:
> Oh and I hate text editors. you have to save then view in browser, yada
> yada yada. When I first got my home site I was so happy. I will never go
> back to .txt pad.

For simple and/or amateurish styling I guess some "WYSIWYG" CSS editor
is probably fine, so if that's the level you want to work on, go ahead
with whatever visual editor you find.

But if you want to work with more complex things, or have to work on a
professional, not just "proffesional webdresign" level, you won't get
around actually LEARNING CSS, and the problems many browsers have with
handling it. This is not something a visual editor can do for you. It's
best done with a couple good CSS references, a text editor, and all the
browsers your client wants to have supported.

Matthias

Sid Ismail

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 22:28:17 -0400, "naitsirch79" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I have homesite and dreamweaver. But what is the best way to learn css.
> The one site I am doing the tute with says something about getting style
> master to edit your css. What I have will do that or is there something
> better recommended?

Learn CSS before you start editing it with StyleMaster.

http://www.westciv.com/style_master/...s_on_tutorial/

Sid

Some information for the one who decided to learn C++, and now wantsto learn at least a bit of C? Alexander C Programming 20 09-11-2010 01:04 AM
Learn the language before you learn the GUI. CoreyWhite C++ 1 03-31-2007 08:56 PM
Best site to learn CSS? Nocturnal HTML 6 03-29-2005 11:42 PM
how did you learn css? chaser HTML 38 07-26-2004 12:34 AM
newbie question: should I learn TKinter or skip it and learn more advanced toolkit? Porky Pig Jr Python 3 05-12-2004 08:58 AM

Advertisments