Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > streaming video

streaming video

Smilin Armadillo

hi all
i need advises on embedding video on a web page.

I would like to offer my clients tutorial videos.
I would like to be able to keep a fair compability with all browsers.
I would like to make the video file light as possible in terms of weight.
And broadcast at the best speed possible.

Where should i start, and how should i proceed to remain efficient and
professional.

Anyone who knows online tutorials , good URL on the subject or would like to
post their advise, you help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sincerely

Smilin Armadillo

brucie

In post <xqoLa.6812$(E-Mail Removed)>
Smilin Armadillo said...

> i need advises on embedding video on a web page.

what about just supplying a link to the videos so the visitor can
download them and use their preferred player?

> I would like to be able to keep a fair compability with all browsers.

just link to several different formats then the browser they use
doesn't matter, just the format you supply.

> Anyone who knows online tutorials , good URL on the subject or would like to
> post their advise, you help would be appreciated.

your server needs to support streaming media

embedding media:

RealVideo
http://service.real.com/learnnav/rp1.html

quicktime
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/authoring/embed.html
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tools...s/activex.html

windows media
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...dwmwebpage.asp

--
brucie a. blackford. 29/June/2003 08:21:54 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

Smilin Armadillo

THanks Bruce,

here is more detail on what i intend on doing.

Video will be for registered users only.
i want to be able to use on single file for each video and stream it within
the page.

Now beeing a rookie, i dont know how to prevent a movie from beeing saved
onto the user computer. Is it possible?

Second: in terms of quality, speed, weight and High traffic, which format
should be the more appropriate and which method should be used? streaming?
another method?

Thank you for the URL you provided Bruce,

I am already checking the windows media player one.
I will also look into quick time.

Anyone else that would like to add advises or URL of tutorial to my post ,
you are all welcome to do so.

Thank you again.

"brucie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bdl5g8$u1134$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In post <xqoLa.6812$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Smilin Armadillo said...
>
> > i need advises on embedding video on a web page.

> what about just supplying a link to the videos so the visitor can
> download them and use their preferred player?
>
> > I would like to be able to keep a fair compability with all browsers.

> just link to several different formats then the browser they use
> doesn't matter, just the format you supply.
>
> > Anyone who knows online tutorials , good URL on the subject or would

like to
> > post their advise, you help would be appreciated.

> your server needs to support streaming media
>
> embedding media:
>
> RealVideo
> http://service.real.com/learnnav/rp1.html
>
> quicktime
> http://www.apple.com/quicktime/authoring/embed.html
> http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tools...s/activex.html
>
> windows media
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...dwmwebpage.asp
>

> --
> brucie a. blackford. 29/June/2003 08:21:54 am kilo.
> http://loser.brucies.com/

brucie

In post <SipLa.6910$(E-Mail Removed)>
Smilin Armadillo said...

> THanks Bruce,

^^ i

you're welcome. please don't toppost

How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

> i want to be able to use on single file for each video and stream it within
> the page.

links in my previous post show how to embed media. you need a server
to stream the media and hope that your visitor supports the format
you're streaming and also browser/OS that supports it.

> i dont know how to prevent a movie from beeing saved onto the user computer.
> Is it possible?

no. once anything leaves your server you've lost control of it. people
can do whatever they like with it.

> Second: in terms of quality, speed, weight and High traffic, which format
> should be the more appropriate and which method should be used? streaming?
> another method?

What Video Compression to Use?
http://www.netfact.com/csev/projects...t/indexvid.htm

Performance Tests

Video and Streaming Media
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990808.html

--
brucie a. blackford. 29/June/2003 09:32:24 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

Headless

brucie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> i need advises on embedding video on a web page.

>your server needs to support streaming media

A streaming media server is only required for live streaming such as
net-radio. A standard http server is all you need for file based video,
use redirector files.

Headless

Whitecrest

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> A streaming media server is only required for live streaming such as
> net-radio. A standard http server is all you need for file based video,
> use redirector files.

Almost right, you are still missing what a media server is. Depending
on the number of concurrent viewers, you can easily stream live video
from any encoder. Media servers are used to preserve bandwidth. If it
is live or VOD makes no difference. In a nutshell, if someone connects
to the feed (live or VOD) at 500K, then will indeed get 500K. That is
what a media server does.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Smilin Armadillo

so streaming they view automatically without waiting?

when a video is embedded in a web page, is it streaming or it as nothing to
do with streaming.

Streaming and non-streaming confuses me.

does all format such as .mov .avi .wmv .mpeg support streaming.

And which format will give me the best optimisation in terms of quality and
weight.

So far from what i have read on the web is that quick time is the best
choice for combability, supported by Netscape and IE.

Now if im correct , netscape, mozilla uses plugin and IE uses Active X to
play the video.

Does it affects the video quality?

"Whitecrest" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > A streaming media server is only required for live streaming such as
> > net-radio. A standard http server is all you need for file based video,
> > use redirector files.

> Almost right, you are still missing what a media server is. Depending
> on the number of concurrent viewers, you can easily stream live video
> from any encoder. Media servers are used to preserve bandwidth. If it
> is live or VOD makes no difference. In a nutshell, if someone connects
> to the feed (live or VOD) at 500K, then will indeed get 500K. That is
> what a media server does.
>
> --
> Whitecrest Entertainment
> www.whitecrestent.com

Whitecrest

In article <A1FLa.6228$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> so streaming they view automatically without waiting?

First don't top post.

Your answer:
Streaming video is a sequence of "moving images" that are sent in
compressed form over the Internet and displayed by the viewer as they
arrive. Streaming media is streaming video with sound. With streaming
video or streaming media, a Web user does not have to wait to download a
large file before seeing the video or hearing the sound. Instead, the
media is sent in a continuous stream and is played as it arrives. The
user needs a player, which is a special program that uncompresses and
sends video data to the display and audio data to speakers. A player can
be either an integral part of a browser or downloaded from the software
maker's Web site.
(from: http://searchnetworking.techtarget.c...nition/0,,sid7
_gci213055,00.html)

> when a video is embedded in a web page, is it streaming or it as nothing to
> do with streaming.

Nothing to do with streaming.

> Streaming and non-streaming confuses me.

If download faster than you see it, you are streaming. Makes no
difference if it is from a file or a live feed.

> does all format such as .mov .avi .wmv .mpeg support streaming.

In what you use to think of as streaming no, in what streaming really is
yes.

> And which format will give me the best optimisation in terms of quality and
> weight.

Totally depends on the video, and what you want to do with it. If you
are serious about offering video on your site, then you better not be
worried about physical file size. We have several servers dedicated to
nothing by video clips. All of the above formats you mentioned are
good. If you are offering a combination of mov, wmv, and rm you will
reach virtually every customer out there. The encoders for all three
are free, and almost every fire-wire card comes with free software to
save in all the formats.

> So far from what i have read on the web is that quick time is the best
> choice for combability, supported by Netscape and IE.

So is real, so is wmv, and avi, and.....

> Now if im correct , netscape, mozilla uses plugin and IE uses Active X to
> play the video.

Yep, 80%+ of the world's browsers use ActiveX components out of the box,
the other 20% use a plugin for the ActiveX component (that is usually
included anyway)

Complex video manipulation via javascript is more complex with some
browsers and plugins, because of live connect. But virtually everything
can be done on both.

> Does it affects the video quality?

No that does not effect quality

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Headless

Joel Shepherd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Simply providing a link to the video is simple, degrades reasonably
>nicely, and doesn't require some kind of high-zoot streaming media
>server on the other end.
>
>One reason I hesitate to do this (maybe this is mistaken) is that my
>site is regularly visited by bulk-downloaders and due to its size,
>their visits incur a substantial bandwidth hit (my guess is on the
>order of 80-100mb per visit). So I'm hesitant to put up a few files
>that'll add another 10% or so to what bulk-downloaders mindlessly
>slurp down.

Define"bulk-downloader".

>Also, to be honest, having paid $700 or so for the video, I'm
>disinclined to allow direct links. Am I wrong in believing streaming
>video is harder to "walk off" with than a simple file?

Streaming via a streaming server does make it more difficult to save, if
you really need to restrict saving to a minimum then that's the way to
go.

Headless

Whitecrest

In article <bdn6qp$tlj$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > what about just supplying a link to the videos so the visitor can
> > download them and use their preferred player?

> Actually, I'd be interested in exploring the pros and cons of this
> (since I'm chewing it over myself).

Depending on the kind of site you have the pros and cons will be
different.

> Also, to be honest, having paid $700 or so for the video, I'm
> disinclined to allow direct links. Am I wrong in believing streaming
> video is harder to "walk off" with than a simple file?

Not a reason, after the user sees it, it is on the user's computer.
Nothing you can do about that.

> But, the price for that is $5/month for a server, and technical
> restrictions on who can actually see the video (i.e., must have Media
> Player 7.something+, etc.). And I don't like needlessly excluding
> folks for technical reasons.

Since you now know that worrying about them stealing it is not a reason,
your list above is moot.

> Have others faced a similar decision, and which way did they go?

Go and see. Check out the sites that are big on video. Any of the
networks (any country). The movie sites, including the indi film ones.
Check out sites that are like your's that offer video, what do they do?

Without knowing what you want, and why you want to do it, there is no
way someone can tell you the best way to do it.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com