Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > annoying IE problem with dashed CSS borders

annoying IE problem with dashed CSS borders

TheKeith

Has anyone else noticed this problem with CSS borders in internet exporer.
Whenever you use the "border-style:dashed" style, ie highlights it or
something where it looks as though the spaces in between the dashes are
filled with white? It's really annoying and now it's going to prevent me
from using that style...dammit!

brucie

In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
TheKeith said...

> Has anyone else noticed this problem with CSS borders in internet exporer.
> Whenever you use the "border-style:dashed" style, ie highlights it or
> something where it looks as though the spaces in between the dashes are
> filled with white?

works fine for me. URI?

--
brucie a. blackford. 29/June/2003 07:36:50 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

TheKeith

well what I just noticed is that when I resize the window, those white
things go away. What could it be? Could it just be something with my
computer?

"brucie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bdl1t8$u4gf1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
> TheKeith said...
>
> > Has anyone else noticed this problem with CSS borders in internet

exporer.
> > Whenever you use the "border-style:dashed" style, ie highlights it or
> > something where it looks as though the spaces in between the dashes are
> > filled with white?

> works fine for me. URI?
>
> --
> brucie a. blackford. 29/June/2003 07:36:50 am kilo.
> http://loser.brucies.com/

brucie

In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
TheKeith said...

>>> Whenever you use the "border-style:dashed" style, ie highlights it or
>>> something where it looks as though the spaces in between the dashes are
>>> filled with white?

>> works fine for me. URI?

> well what I just noticed is that when I resize the window, those white
> things go away. What could it be? Could it just be something with my
> computer?

i don't know. supply a URI to a page that exhibits the behavior.

please don't toppost
How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

--
brucie a. blackford. 29/June/2003 07:52:37 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

Sid Ismail

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:45:00 -0400, "TheKeith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> well what I just noticed is that when I resize the window, those white
> things go away. What could it be? Could it just be something with my
> computer?

Did you use Tippex on your screen?

Sid

TheKeith

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

?

> Sid

TheKeith

here is a screenshot:
http://www.kworks.us/dottedborderpro...screenshot.gif

"brucie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bdl2o7$tke8i$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
> TheKeith said...

are

> >> works fine for me. URI?

> > well what I just noticed is that when I resize the window, those white
> > things go away. What could it be? Could it just be something with my
> > computer?

> i don't know. supply a URI to a page that exhibits the behavior.
>
> please don't toppost
> How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
> http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
>

> --
> brucie a. blackford. 29/June/2003 07:52:37 am kilo.
> http://loser.brucies.com/

brucie

In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
TheKeith said...

> http://www.kworks.us/dottedborderproblem/ -- if it works for you, then I
> guess it's just a problem on my end.

your html and css is very invalid. fix your errors. after fixing the
errors and changing to a DTD to invoke "standards" mode the problem
was still there and appears to be an issue with the absolute
positioning. don't absolutely position the <div> or change the border
to 2px.

> I'm running the latest version of ie and winxp pro sp1

sp2 is the latest IE release. run windows update.

--
brucie a. blackford. 29/June/2003 08:05:10 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

picayunish

When TheKeith was making a web page, a appears and wrote:
> "brucie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bdl2o7$tke8i$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> TheKeith said...

>>> well what I just noticed is that when I resize the window, those white
>>> things go away. What could it be? Could it just be something with my
>>> computer?

>> i don't know. supply a URI to a page that exhibits the behavior.

> http://www.kworks.us/dottedborderproblem/ -- if it works for you, then I
> guess it's just a problem on my end. I'm running the latest version of ie
> and winxp pro sp1

You forgot putting a "#" by border-color. It must be border-color: #999999;
Can also shorter border: 1px dashed #999;

Use percentage or em for font size instead of fixed font size. Sothat the
visitor can decide what kind of font size they like best to read.

When finished the page validate it with http://validator.w3.org/ (for html)
and with http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ (style sheet).
--
Edwin van der Vaart (Geen familie van....)
http://www.semi-conductors.nl/ Links to Semiconductors sites

TheKeith

"brucie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bdl493$tkl4o$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
> TheKeith said...
>
> > http://www.kworks.us/dottedborderproblem/ -- if it works for you, then I
> > guess it's just a problem on my end.

> your html and css is very invalid. fix your errors. after fixing the
> errors and changing to a DTD to invoke "standards" mode the problem
> was still there and appears to be an issue with the absolute
> positioning. don't absolutely position the <div> or change the border
> to 2px.

much appreciated. I actually discovered a workaround for the problem that
seems to do the trick. I simply placed a clear 1x1 bg image and stretched it
across the whole screen--works great. I'll post it up now--same address.

Jpanel Dashed Border? Barkster Java 16 07-03-2006 06:13 PM
Creating a dashed line John Abbler HTML 18 07-18-2005 02:09 AM
Tables with different color left and right borders, no top or bottom borders, etc. George HTML 9 10-25-2004 04:25 PM
Help: How can I create a dashed HR Hardeep Rakhra HTML 8 01-22-2004 09:16 AM
how to draw a dashed line between two points Rick Java 3 09-30-2003 07:36 PM

Advertisments