Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > html forms and liquid designs

html forms and liquid designs

SamuŽl van Laere

Is there a way to have liquid html forms?
By this i mean that a form should resize
when the user resizes the browser window
or changes resolution.

I set the textarea like this:
<textarea name="Message" cols="30" rows="10" ></textarea>

But this isn't any good for an liquid design,
horizontal scrollbars appear in the browser when resizing
a page that contains forms with cols and rows set.

Any toughts?

--
Wirh regards,
SamuŽl van Laere

spaghetti

"SamuŽl van Laere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mglKa.387784$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I set the textarea like this:
> <textarea name="Message" cols="30" rows="10" ></textarea>
>
> But this isn't any good for an liquid design,
> horizontal scrollbars appear in the browser when resizing
> a page that contains forms with cols and rows set.

Just set a style in your stylesheet:

textarea { width:80%; }

On all the browsers I've tested this with, it seems to make the "cols"
attribute not matter, and the text in the text area expands and wraps at the
edge of the textarea box, not at the column specified. The cols and rows
attributes are required, which seems pretty weird to me. But whatever. Try
the above, it should work for what you need.

SamuŽl van Laere

"spaghetti" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:bdcpit$rkrsd$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "SamuŽl van Laere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:mglKa.387784$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > I set the textarea like this:
> > <textarea name="Message" cols="30" rows="10" ></textarea>
> >
> > But this isn't any good for an liquid design,
> > horizontal scrollbars appear in the browser when resizing
> > a page that contains forms with cols and rows set.

> Just set a style in your stylesheet:
>
> textarea { width:80%; }
>
> On all the browsers I've tested this with, it seems to make the "cols"
> attribute not matter, and the text in the text area expands and wraps at

the
> edge of the textarea box, not at the column specified. The cols and rows
> attributes are required, which seems pretty weird to me. But whatever. Try
> the above, it should work for what you need.

Thanks a lot Spaghetti,

Seems to work fine, don't know if its proper use
but it is the only way and it does the job.
Perhaps its time that forms and there elements
start supporting procents as values, next to pixels.

--
Wirh regards,
SamuŽl van Laere
the Netherlands
www.fortron.net

spaghetti

"SamuŽl van Laere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rYoKa.390337$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Seems to work fine, don't know if its proper use
> but it is the only way and it does the job.
> Perhaps its time that forms and there elements
> start supporting procents as values, next to pixels.

Elements support all sorts of values: percentage, pixels, points, ems, etc.
etc.

The cols and rows attributes in <textarea> are for how many characters.

Setting the width with percentage in the stylesheet is the proper way. In
fact, I think cols and rows is silly, but I guess there is a pretty good
reason.

Unlike the <q> tag.

combs1945 combs1945 is offline
Junior Member

I found a page that has a liquid jquery textarea that looks good.

http://www.ajaxera.com/jquery-sexy-tools-textarea/