Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: clock for web page help please

Re: clock for web page help please

brucie

In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
BORG said...

> I need to have a GMT/UK time clock on a web page but I cant use Java
> Script, it must be a link to show a clock face as a pic or HTML if
> possible.

not possible using html, html doesn't do anything. you're going to
need some sort of scripting, for a clock in real time it will require
client side scripting.

or you can just stick the time on the page using SSIs when the page is
requested:

<!--#config timefmt="%H:%M"-->
<!--#echo var="date_gmt"-->

--
brucie a. blackford. 25/June/2003 10:49:56 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

Mark Parnell

BORG wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:54:20 +1000, brucie <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>> <!--#config timefmt="%H:%M"-->
>> <!--#echo var="date_gmt"-->

> what do I do with this code then ? add it to the HTML

Yes, wherever you want the time to appear. You should check that your
server supports server-side includes first.

--

Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

brucie

In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
BORG said...

>>or you can just stick the time on the page using SSIs when the page is
>>requested:
>>
>><!--#config timefmt="%H:%M"-->
>><!--#echo var="date_gmt"-->

> what do I do with this code then ? add it to the HTML

%H specifies 24hr time format. %M specifies minutes.

the above will display: 01:12 GMT

your server needs to support SSIs and you may need to use the file
extension .shtml so the server knows to parse the file

SSI FAQs
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?SSI_FAQs

--
brucie a. blackford. 25/June/2003 11:05:32 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

brucie

In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
BORG said...

> mmm. might be problem there, its for this page
> http://1056450992.camarades.com/
>
> and I have no control over the server side. the clock they supply is
> +4 hours out and no matter how I set it it still wont shoe UK time

on the add cam setup page is the option to specify your time zone:

http://ww.com/add.html

--
brucie a. blackford. 25/June/2003 11:21:15 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

BORG

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:24:12 +1000, brucie <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>on the add cam setup page is the option to specify your time zone:
>
>http://ww.com/add.html

don't do a thing, changes nothing on the actual page

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

brucie

In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
BORG said...

>>on the add cam setup page is the option to specify your time zone:
>>
>>http://ww.com/add.html

> don't do a thing, changes nothing on the actual page

the site isn't exactly user friendly. i got there by truncating your
address to http://camarades.com/ which redirects to : http://ww.com/
clicking on a link at random then showed the add cam link at the top
of the page.

find where it gives instructions for setting up your page with the
webcam. theres also something there to download, is that the software
to update your webcam images? is there a time setting option in it?

--
brucie a. blackford. 25/June/2003 11:48:54 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

rf

"BORG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:12:23 +1000, brucie <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

> mmm. might be problem there, its for this page
> http://1056450992.camarades.com/

While you are fixing your other problems see if you can do something to stop
the image being downloaded four times a second.

A 16 K image at 4 times per second adds up to, ah, 225 megabytes per hour.
That would cost me tens of dollars in bandwidth and wouldn't I be *really*
****ed off if I hadn't noticed and happened to leave your page on my browser
canvas overnight and that cost turned into hundreds of dollars.

I certainly would not go round to your studio. Well, maybe I would, just to
kick you in the shins

One refresh every minute or ten will be fine.

Cheers
Richard.

rf

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vv7Ka.374$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "BORG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > mmm. might be problem there, its for this page
> > http://1056450992.camarades.com/

[4 refreshes per second]

More to the point, if ten people look at your page at the same time then
*your* bandwidth usage is going to go through the roof. Your host will
probably be in touch with you very shortly

Cheers
Richard.

Mark Parnell

rf wrote:
> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vv7Ka.374$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "BORG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> http://1056450992.camarades.com/

> [4 refreshes per second]
>
> More to the point, if ten people look at your page at the same time
> then *your* bandwidth usage is going to go through the roof.

Let's try it, shall we? Ready? One, two, three...

--

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:17:12 GMT, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:vv7Ka.374$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "BORG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > mmm. might be problem there, its for this page
>> > http://1056450992.camarades.com/

>[4 refreshes per second]
>
>More to the point, if ten people look at your page at the same time then
>*your* bandwidth usage is going to go through the roof. Your host will
>probably be in touch with you very shortly
>
>Cheers
>Richard.

#

no limit on the bandwidth its a business account

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header
http://www.goodtraders.com/viewfeedback.php?nick=Borg
DONATIONS TO (E-Mail Removed)