Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Anyone found a good web authoring or newsletter package for executive use?

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Anyone found a good web authoring or newsletter package for executive use?

 
 
Jim Kelly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2003
It is difficult to know how to respond politely . . but let me say many
of the good folks in mind have no reason to pay anyone to create these
websites . . . in fact we in the community will be the benefactors as
they will record their valuable knowledge in the form that we accept . .
a website. It doesn't have to be a bells and whistles persuasive site
like frogleg from nowhere possibly makes. Just a clean, mean, orderly
site that is easy to create in a way that is a delight to the reader by
it's content, and thoughtful layout, not in it's flashiness.

Jim Kelly



"Frogleg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:05:05 +1000, "Jim Kelly"
| <kellwood@compuREMOVE_TO_EMAIL_MEserve.com> wrote:
|
| >
| >"Whitecrest" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
|
| >| kellwood@compuREMOVE_TO_EMAIL_MEserve.com says...
| >|
| >| > I have a number of clients with zero programming skills (or
interest
| >| > really) who are clever executives/owners of their respective
small
| >| > businesses who would love to build a website themselves, starting
| >with a
| >| > non critical one (eg their family/sport etc) to build their skill
| >for a
| >| > subsequent simple corporate site and/or newsletter to send via
| >email.
| >| >
| >| > Has anyone found a web page authoring package that would suit
these
| >| > types of folks??
|
| >| Why not let them submit in text format, then you create a page that
| >uses
| >| that? Or we have on several occasions created a flash piece that
does
| >| exactly what you are looking to do. Also in this case, they submit
| >| plain text, and we take care of everything else (automated). This
way
| >| you don't have to deal with frequent changes, and they don't have
to
| >| deal with markup.
|
| >Mostly because they really want to do it all themselves . . . the
| >driving force is a frustration that for years they have been able to
| >communicate effectively by letter, fax even email. Now they want to
step
| >into creating web pages and do not expect to need to become a
| >programmer. And are (often) happy to pay for a product that has been
| >built with them in mind!
|
| Let me get this right. You're asking a bunch of people who work very
| hard to produce and improve web sites, many for money, to suggest a
| software package (other than FrontPage) that'll let others too busy to
| learn anything about HTML bring their dreams to reality with no bother
| at all? Then what are the rest of us doing here? Hey -- I want to cook
| like Julia Child. Is there an appliance I can buy so I don't have to
| learn to chop, simmer and stir? I have some *great* ideas for dinner
| next Saturday.
|
| Ahem. Sorry. Lead 'em to FrontPage, or tell 'em to trade money for
| time and hire someone to do the actual work.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
William Tasso
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2003
Jim Kelly wrote:
[please don't top post]
> "Frogleg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:05:05 +1000, "Jim Kelly"
>> <kellwood@compuREMOVE_TO_EMAIL_MEserve.com> wrote:
>>> "Whitecrest" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>>> kellwood@compuREMOVE_TO_EMAIL_MEserve.com says...
>>>>> I have a number of clients with zero programming skills (or
>>>>> interest really) who are clever executives/owners of their
>>>>> respective small businesses who would love to build a website
>>>>> themselves, starting with a non critical one (eg their
>>>>> family/sport etc) to build their skill for a subsequent simple
>>>>> corporate site and/or newsletter to send via email.
>>>>>
>>>>> Has anyone found a web page authoring package that would suit
>>>>> these types of folks??

>>
>>>> Why not let them submit in text format, then you create a page
>>>> that uses that? Or we have on several occasions created a flash
>>>> piece that does exactly what you are looking to do. Also in this
>>>> case, they submit plain text, and we take care of everything else
>>>> (automated). This way you don't have to deal with frequent
>>>> changes, and they don't have to deal with markup.

>>
>>> Mostly because they really want to do it all themselves . . . the
>>> driving force is a frustration that for years they have been able to
>>> communicate effectively by letter, fax even email. Now they want to
>>> step into creating web pages and do not expect to need to become a
>>> programmer. And are (often) happy to pay for a product that has been
>>> built with them in mind!

>>
>> Let me get this right. You're asking a bunch of people who work very
>> hard to produce and improve web sites, many for money, to suggest a
>> software package (other than FrontPage) that'll let others too busy
>> to learn anything about HTML bring their dreams to reality with no
>> bother at all? Then what are the rest of us doing here? Hey -- I
>> want to cook like Julia Child. Is there an appliance I can buy so I
>> don't have to learn to chop, simmer and stir? I have some *great*
>> ideas for dinner next Saturday.
>>
>> Ahem. Sorry. Lead 'em to FrontPage, or tell 'em to trade money for
>> time and hire someone to do the actual work.

>
> It is difficult to know how to respond politely . . but let me say
> many of the good folks in mind have no reason to pay anyone to create
> these websites . . . in fact we in the community will be the
> benefactors as they will record their valuable knowledge in the form
> that we accept . . a website. It doesn't have to be a bells and
> whistles persuasive site like frogleg from nowhere possibly makes.
> Just a clean, mean, orderly site that is easy to create in a way that
> is a delight to the reader by it's content, and thoughtful layout,
> not in it's flashiness.


seems to me you could usefully apply your research skills using the phrase
"content management system". There are many available at many price points
(starting at free) with varying degrees of sophistication - if that's the
right word.

in any event, good luck
--
William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Frogleg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2003
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:37:36 +1000, "Jim Kelly"
<kellwood@compuREMOVE_TO_EMAIL_MEserve.com> wrote:
>"Frogleg" <(E-Mail Removed)> .


>| Let me get this right. You're asking a bunch of people who work very
>| hard to produce and improve web sites, many for money, to suggest a
>| software package (other than FrontPage) that'll let others too busy to
>| learn anything about HTML bring their dreams to reality with no bother
>| at all? Then what are the rest of us doing here?
>|
>| Ahem. Sorry. Lead 'em to FrontPage, or tell 'em to trade money for
>| time and hire someone to do the actual work.


>It is difficult to know how to respond politely . . but let me say many
>of the good folks in mind have no reason to pay anyone to create these
>websites . . . in fact we in the community will be the benefactors as
>they will record their valuable knowledge in the form that we accept . .
>a website. It doesn't have to be a bells and whistles persuasive site
>like frogleg from nowhere possibly makes. Just a clean, mean, orderly
>site that is easy to create in a way that is a delight to the reader by
>it's content, and thoughtful layout, not in it's flashiness.


My websites are *far* from "bells and whistles" persuasion machines. I
*have* been working for some time to make them, if not a "delight," at
least clear, easily navigable, thoughtully designed, and viewable with
different sorts of equipment and software. Which is why I'm here. If
there were a software package that would instantly translate all our
good ideas into the sort of end-product you seem to require, there
wouldn't be much point in this newsgroup.

The drawbacks of WYSIWYG web design software and Front Page's output
when the "designer" has no clue what's going on have been pointed out
ad infinitum here. There are sites produced with these prooducts that
are quite adequate in many ways. Grab a template, fill in the blanks,
insert your photos, and publish.

Why your particular circle of "good folk" has requirements beyond what
Front Page (or Word or other common tools) can provide, and yet not
enough time, interest, or money to invest, except in a software
package, is a puzzle. In fact, you mentioned they'd like to start with
a My Dog Spot personal site (many ISPs offer free online tools for
publishing personal web pages, as well as host space) and "build thier
skill." So they *are* willing to learn -- just not learn anything
complicated or difficult.

I realize I'm really nit-picking, but your query more or less
translates, IMHO, into "how can my friends and I produce high quality
web sites (I'll leave the question of HTML e-mailed newsletters out of
this) with none of the effort you idiots seem to be so working on so
hard?"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Kelly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2003

"Frogleg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:37:36 +1000, "Jim Kelly"
| <kellwood@compuREMOVE_TO_EMAIL_MEserve.com> wrote:
| >"Frogleg" <(E-Mail Removed)> .
|
|
| I realize I'm really nit-picking, but your query more or less
| translates, IMHO, into "how can my friends and I produce high quality
| web sites (I'll leave the question of HTML e-mailed newsletters out of
| this) with none of the effort you idiots seem to be so working on so
| hard?"

Have you heard how the Swiss lost their undisputed prominence in the
watch making world last century when one of *their* brethren invented
the electronic digital watch. He apparently exhibited it at an
exhibition in Switzerland and was laughed out of town because his design
had no need for the dozens of jewels, cogs, and other delicate parts
that the craftsmen had developed skills in for centuries. A Japanese
visitor saw the product/opportunity and 'ran' with it and the Swiss
industry was wrecked virtually overnight! Only recently have they got
back with the Swatch (digital) approach.

Another example: how many skills do we no longer need now that Google
provides such an effective Internet/newsgroup search facility???

Disseminating information in a clear concise effective manner should not
require elaborate computing skills. A product will fill the need. I am
just trying to be sure I do not miss finding and working with it.

Take heart, we will be ok as long as we embrace change, and don't be
caught doing things 'the hard way'.

Thanks for your reflections . . I can appreciate your point of view.

Jim Kelly.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Kelly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2003

"William Tasso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bd67q6$or50d$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Jim Kelly wrote:

| seems to me you could usefully apply your research skills using the
phrase
| "content management system". There are many available at many price
points
| (starting at free) with varying degrees of sophistication - if that's
the
| right word.
|
| in any event, good luck
| --
| William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com


Good idea.
Had a quick look via Google, and this heading seems to address huge
organisations. Am I missing something/product/newsgroup?

Thanks William,

Kind regards,
Jim Kelly.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Anyone found a good web authoring or newsletter package for executive use? Isofarro HTML 15 06-28-2003 11:54 PM
Re: Anyone found a good web authoring or newsletter package for executive use? Charlotte HTML 0 06-27-2003 05:12 AM
Re: Anyone found a good web authoring or newsletter package for executive use? Whitecrest HTML 11 06-25-2003 03:00 PM
Re: Anyone found a good web authoring or newsletter package for executive use? Jim Kelly HTML 1 06-23-2003 02:00 PM
Re: Anyone found a good web authoring or newsletter package for executive use? Jim Kelly HTML 0 06-23-2003 03:51 AM



Advertisments