Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > search engine questions

search engine questions

PoetStorm

Hi, I do not know if anyone has gone through this with Google but they have
a way to submit your site. Does anyone know if you should just submit the
main ones or also any sub pages for maximum hits? I do not know if google
will automatically scan subdirectories. Thanks!

Laura

Mark Parnell

PoetStorm wrote:
> Hi, I do not know if anyone has gone through this with Google but
> they have a way to submit your site. Does anyone know if you should
> just submit the main ones or also any sub pages for maximum hits? I
> do not know if google will automatically scan subdirectories. Thanks!

From http://www.google.com/addurl.html:

<quote>
Please note: Only the top-level page from a host is necessary; you do not
need to submit each individual page. Our crawler, Googlebot, will be able to
find the rest.
</quote>

--

Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

PoetStorm

Oops, thanks I must have missed that.somehow. I usually don't ask for
redundant info. Sorry!

Laura

"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3ef664b6$0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> PoetStorm wrote:
> > Hi, I do not know if anyone has gone through this with Google but
> > they have a way to submit your site. Does anyone know if you should
> > just submit the main ones or also any sub pages for maximum hits? I
> > do not know if google will automatically scan subdirectories. Thanks!
> >

> From http://www.google.com/addurl.html:
>
> <quote>
> Please note: Only the top-level page from a host is necessary; you do not
> need to submit each individual page. Our crawler, Googlebot, will be able

> find the rest.
> </quote>
>
> --
>
> Mark Parnell
> http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Big Bill

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 02:06:12 GMT, "PoetStorm" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi, I do not know if anyone has gone through this with Google but they have
>a way to submit your site. Does anyone know if you should just submit the
>main ones or also any sub pages for maximum hits? I do not know if google
>will automatically scan subdirectories. Thanks!
>
>Laura

What you should do is have a site map on your second level. That way
the engines can access everything easily so those with an inclination
can easily index all the pages.

BB

MFW Britpack www.extreme-positioning.co.uk
There is only one war, and it's not the rich against the poor,
the blacks against the whites, the Federation against the Borg,
or the Democrats versus the Republicans. It's those of us who
aren't complete idiots against those of us who are.

Rob McAninch

PoetStorm
<newsFtJa.23041$(E-Mail Removed). net>:

> "Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> PoetStorm wrote:
>> > Hi, I do not know if anyone has gone through this with
>> > Google [...] I do not know if google will automatically
>> > scan subdirectories. Thanks!

>> From http://www.google.com/addurl.html:

> Oops, thanks I must have missed that.somehow. I usually don't
> ask for redundant info. Sorry!

Of course that only works if you have links on that top level
page to all the others. Typically better to submit a sitemap that
does link to everything.

--
Rob - http://rock13.com/
Web Stuff: http://rock13.com/webhelp/