Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > any way to shrink down jpg pic with html

any way to shrink down jpg pic with html

Wipkip

Andrew H. Carter wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:41:23 +1000, brucie <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> you're welcome. please don't toppost

> If Bill Gates would give _you_ in his will, all his money when he
> died, with the stipulation that you top-posted for the rest of your
> life, would you do it? Isn't it really a matter of personal
> preference? Also isn't it a bit arrogant to assume that we read top
> to bottom, left to right? What about the Arabic and Hebrew languages?

If bill g. gave anybody all his money you can bet your ass they wouldn't be posting.

--
Duende

brucie

In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
Andrew H. Carter said...

>>> That only applies if the surfer has gotten into bed with
>>> Micro$oft/Bill Gates and has gotten IE6x

>>it applies if the person is using IE, thats why the instruction were
>>supplied for IE. it would be stupid to supply IE instructions if the
>>browser in use wasn't IE.
>>
>>you're a troll.

> You need to reread the thread and see if there was any reference to
> IE6 before mine. Answer? None. Even you did not mention the version
> of IE, remember there are still lots of older browsers that do not
> have the Image resizing and toolbar feature that IE6x has.

WTF has that got to do with turning the feature off? you cant turn it
off if the browser hasn't got it in the first place.

you're a troll and i'm sick of feeding you. *plonk*

--
brucie a. blackford. 23/June/2003 09:11:35 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

Andrew H. Carter

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:51:39 GMT, "Wipkip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Andrew H. Carter wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:41:23 +1000, brucie <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> you're welcome. please don't toppost

>> If Bill Gates would give _you_ in his will, all his money when he
>> died, with the stipulation that you top-posted for the rest of your
>> life, would you do it? Isn't it really a matter of personal
>> preference? Also isn't it a bit arrogant to assume that we read top
>> to bottom, left to right? What about the Arabic and Hebrew languages?
>>

>If bill g. gave anybody all his money you can bet your ass they wouldn't be posting.

They'd probably keel over, or if they didn't die then they'd be going
on a vacation, but the fact remains, when I get a letter in reply from
someone I know, I do not want to see what I wrote, I want to see what
they wrote. The good letter writer will incorporate the questions
with their answers. The bottom posting part is a real PITA when in
order for you to comprehend the whole answer, and nothing be taken out
of context, the whole thing needs to be included, _and_ the person
replying hit send before typing anything, and the server does not
allow cancels.

Sincerely,

Andrew H. Carter

A. H. Carter

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:15:37 +1000, brucie <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>WTF has that got to do with turning the feature off? you cant turn it
>off if the browser hasn't got it in the first place.
>
>you're a troll and i'm sick of feeding you. *plonk*

Turning the feature off can only work in IE6x, so you tell the
lurking/first-time newbies those instructions which you gave and if
they don't have IE6 they will come back asking again their question,
because the supplied answer does not work prior to IE6. This being
the case unless they are told the reason why they can't find it and
how they can get IE6, the newbie will avoid answers by "brucie".

TechnoHippie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 08:46:01 +1000, brucie <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >Andrew H. Carter said...

> >> That only applies if the surfer has gotten into bed with
> >> Micro$oft/Bill Gates and has gotten IE6x

> >it applies if the person is using IE, thats why the instruction were
> >supplied for IE. it would be stupid to supply IE instructions if the
> >browser in use wasn't IE.
> >
> >you're a troll.

> You need to reread the thread and see if there was any reference to
> IE6 before mine. Answer? None. Even you did not mention the version
> of IE, remember there are still lots of older browsers that do not
> have the Image resizing and toolbar feature that IE6x has.

You need to reread the thread where I brought it up and explained it as
a solution but only for IE.

brucie is not a troll
--
Now listening to Birthday by the Beatles - The White Album
Downloaded this day off Kazaalite ... I own the album.

TechnoHippie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:15:37 +1000, brucie <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >WTF has that got to do with turning the feature off? you cant turn it
> >off if the browser hasn't got it in the first place.
> >
> >you're a troll and i'm sick of feeding you. *plonk*

> Turning the feature off can only work in IE6x, so you tell the
> lurking/first-time newbies those instructions which you gave and if
> they don't have IE6 they will come back asking again their question,
> because the supplied answer does not work prior to IE6. This being
> the case unless they are told the reason why they can't find it and
> how they can get IE6, the newbie will avoid answers by "brucie".

My exact post was:
<quote>
Most IE users don't know how to turn off Image Resizing in options so if
you show the pic alone or in a popup window, it will size to fit the
window. That won't work in any other browser, afaik, so you're better
off resizing the pic in irfanview or a similar editor ... you'll be safe
if you make it 640X400. Anything bigger and you will just have to
accept the fact that you really don't have any control over the viewer's
screen resolution.

You could use a smaller size that links to a larger one ... you could
use a script to determine the viewer's monitor resolution and serve up
the correct pic ... it all depends on your motivation and persistence.
</quote>

WTF are you arguing about. Get it or get plonked.

Judy
--
Now listening to Birthday by the Beatles - The White Album
Downloaded this day off Kazaalite ... I own the album.
So, kiss my freckled ass, Orrin Hatch

Andrew H. Carter

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:24:27 -0700, TechnoHippie
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>WTF are you arguing about. Get it or get plonked.
>
>Judy

The point is that I made reference to Internet Explorer Version 6
(IE6), whereas you made reference to Internet Explorer. How many
older versions are still out there being used, I've no idea, but
apparently you and brucie do, and if you do please illuminate me so
that I may eat some crow.

Sincerely,

Andrew H. Carter

Andrew H. Carter

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:19:56 -0700, TechnoHippie
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You need to reread the thread where I brought it up and explained it as
>a solution but only for IE.
>
>brucie is not a troll

I did re-read the thread and you did mention IE, but _NOT_ version 6,
that is the _KEY_ part, versions prior to 6.0 do not have that option
of resizing nor the image toolbar.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot, scenario: you have just gotten a
used computer (to see if it is all that worth it, why spend the money
when you may not use it all that much?) and it has let's say Windows
95 with IE version 4. I give you the directions (the ones that you
wrote) and you go that route and find, much to your amazement and
consternation that there is no listing for resizing nor the image
toolbar. You mention this back in a reply, then I realize my error
and reply with the vernacular: "My Bad" and mention that those
instructions were meant for users of IE6 as any previous version of
Internet Explorer that would not apply due to that feature not being
developed yet.

Also, I never said he was a troll, I don't call people names, unless
of course it might be Saddam Hussein, or ObL. I most certainly do not
call women names.

Words that I do not use:

F word
MF word

Rarely use:

D word

Not too often:

S word

If I wake up late, I might utter the "S" word and that is it.

Sincerely,

Andrew H. Carter

Mark Parnell

Andrew H. Carter wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:19:56 -0700, TechnoHippie
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> You need to reread the thread where I brought it up and explained it
>> as a solution but only for IE.
>>

> I did re-read the thread and you did mention IE, but _NOT_ version 6,
> that is the _KEY_ part, versions prior to 6.0 do not have that option
> of resizing nor the image toolbar.

Therefore users of versions of IE previous to 6 don't need those
instructions to stop it resizing their images because their images won't be
resized in the first place.

--

Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Andrew H. Carter

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:19:58 +1000, "Mark Parnell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Therefore users of versions of IE previous to 6 don't need those
>instructions to stop it resizing their images because their images won't be
>resized in the first place.

Okay, I admit I'm going mental and that it just now dawned on me that
it won't automagically resize in previous versions, but have you ever
gone to Webshots? But still, a person just jumping in to the WWW and
Usenet, might get a li'l bit confused w/out clarification, hence I was
endeavouring to make it clear.

Sincerely,

Andrew H. "eating some crow" Carter