Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > any way to shrink down jpg pic with html

any way to shrink down jpg pic with html

bbxrider

i have a jpg pic that i want to shrink down on my page without losing
resolution
i want the whole pic to be seen without having to scroll the browser
is there some 'container' type of thing that i can put the pic inside of to
do that
http://job1data.com/web1/dna.html

TechnoHippie

In article <bd544v$pabs9$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> In post <eloJa.1020638$OV.1117587@rwcrnsc54>
> bbxrider said...
>
> > i have a jpg pic that i want to shrink down on my page without losing
> > resolution

> do you mean keeping the image quality/detail? use a program to resize
> it. ulead smartsaver pro is nice or just use your graphics program to
> resize it.
>
> > i want the whole pic to be seen without having to scroll the browser

> thats not really possible because you don't know what size the
> visitors browser window is and can only guess its size. you could use
> percentages for the image size but see below...
>
> > is there some 'container' type of thing that i can put the pic inside of to
> > do that

> you can use html to specify a size different than the actual image
> size but browsers are really bad at resizing images and you should
> only display images at the size they are (with a few exceptions). its
> really annoying downloading a 1000x1000px image is its only displayed
> at 100x100px
>
> > http://job1data.com/web1/dna.html

> file:///C:\Documents and Settings\bob.C281571-A\
>
> that only exists on your computer, no one elses.

Most IE users don't know how to turn off Image Resizing in options so if
you show the pic alone or in a popup window, it will size to fit the
window. That won't work in any other browser, afaik, so you're better
off resizing the pic in irfanview or a similar editor ... you'll be safe
if you make it 640X400. Anything bigger and you will just have to
accept the fact that you really don't have any control over the viewer's
screen resolution.

You could use a smaller size that links to a larger one ... you could
use a script to determine the viewer's monitor resolution and serve up
the correct pic ... it all depends on your motivation and persistence.

Judy
--
Now listening to Birthday by the Beatles - The White Album
Downloaded this day off Kazaalite ... I own the album.

brucie

In post <(E-Mail Removed). com>
TechnoHippie said...

> Most IE users don't know how to turn off Image Resizing in options

tools > internet options > advanced > multimedia > [ ] enable image toolbar

now they do

> You could use a smaller size that links to a larger one ...

best option

> you could use a script to determine the viewer's monitor resolution and
> serve up the correct pic ...

the resolution has nothing to do with the available canvas area of the
browser and you can only guess what the canvas area size may be.

--
brucie a. blackford. 23/June/2003 06:57:54 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

brucie

In post <bd55em$p3mnp$(E-Mail Removed)>
brucie said...

> tools > internet options > advanced > multimedia > [ ] enable image toolbar

oops, try the option above enable image toolbar

--
brucie a. blackford. 23/June/2003 07:03:03 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

bbxrider

thanx for the help and suggestions
i'm surprised to hear that a script can access something like the screen
resolution, but i guess since its more of a hardware resource its not a
security issue.
sounds like it takes some experimentation with different resolutions. what i
found initially, the original pic is a screen capture, shft/prnt scr, and
when reducing resolution the quality just fell apart

"brucie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bd55if$oiku9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In post <bd55em$p3mnp$(E-Mail Removed)>
> brucie said...
>
> > tools > internet options > advanced > multimedia > [ ] enable image

toolbar

> oops, try the option above enable image toolbar
>

> --
> brucie a. blackford. 23/June/2003 07:03:03 am kilo.
> http://loser.brucies.com/

brucie

In post <0epJa.1020995$OV.1118034@rwcrnsc54>
bbxrider said...

> thanx for the help and suggestions

you're welcome. please don't toppost

How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

> what i found initially, the original pic is a screen capture, shft/prnt scr,
> and when reducing resolution

image size?

> the quality just fell apart

reduce your resolution to the minimum and take another screen cap or
use a program such as the one i mentioned before to resize the image

--
brucie a. blackford. 23/June/2003 07:37:36 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

Andrew H. Carter

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:30:02 GMT, "bbxrider" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>i have a jpg pic that i want to shrink down on my page without losing
>resolution
>i want the whole pic to be seen without having to scroll the browser
>is there some 'container' type of thing that i can put the pic inside of to
>do that
>http://job1data.com/web1/dna.html

If you are talking a web gallery, then I suggest Thumbnails,
especially if the size of the original is 100KB+ I use Xnview for my
Thumbnails: http://www.xnview.com . You can see it in action here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~acarterch.../E2-index.html

Mind you, I edited the code to coordinate with the rest of that
section of my site.

Sincerely,

Andrew H. Carter

Andrew H. Carter

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:01:52 +1000, brucie <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> Most IE users don't know how to turn off Image Resizing in options

>tools > internet options > advanced > multimedia > [ ] enable image toolbar
>
>now they do

That only applies if the surfer has gotten into bed with
Micro$oft/Bill Gates and has gotten IE6x

Sincerely,

Andrew H. Carter

Wipkip

TechnoHippie wrote:
> In article <bd544v$pabs9$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Judy

Hey, what are you doing up here. Who let you out of AWW? )

--
Duende
-----

brucie

In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
Andrew H. Carter said...

>>tools > internet options > advanced > multimedia > [ ] enable image toolbar

> That only applies if the surfer has gotten into bed with
> Micro$oft/Bill Gates and has gotten IE6x

it applies if the person is using IE, thats why the instruction were
supplied for IE. it would be stupid to supply IE instructions if the
browser in use wasn't IE.

you're a troll.

--
brucie a. blackford. 23/June/2003 08:42:58 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/