Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > search engine friendly

search engine friendly

David Graham

Hi
I have tried to make the site below more search engine friendly. (Only the
index page validates at the moment)
http://www.catalysys.co.uk/sefriendly/

I have taken more care with the title and h1 headings etc. I did have
iframes on the old site but I have now replaced these with scrolling divs.

Any comments please?

I know I have some problems - see my post earlier today (css icon goes to
the html validation site, where to point it at the css site? and how do I
stop a ragged right edge appearing in narrow windows
(preventing this in IE at the moment with overflow: hidden) but I would like
to solve the basic problem.

thanks

David

David Dorward

David Graham wrote:

> I have tried to make the site below more search engine friendly. (Only the
> index page validates at the moment)
> http://www.catalysys.co.uk/sefriendly/

Lynx friendly is search engine friendly. Download a copy of lynx and test it
in that (it won't come out very well).

http://lynx.browser.org/

> how do I stop a ragged right edge appearing in narrow windows
> (preventing this in IE at the moment with overflow: hidden) but I would
> like to solve the basic problem.

I suspect it has to do with your 100% wide + margin elements. If you
explicitly state the width of something as 100%, explicitly set the margins
to 0.

--
David Dorward http://david.us-lot.org/
Redesign in progress: http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/

brucie

In post <x7nJa.634$(E-Mail Removed)>
David Graham said...

> I have tried to make the site below more search engine friendly. (Only the
> index page validates at the moment)
> http://www.catalysys.co.uk/sefriendly/

theres nothing on the front page except the copyright notice

--
brucie a. blackford. 23/June/2003 06:19:22 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

Rob McAninch

PoetStorm
<news:8xoJa.20777$(E-Mail Removed). net>:

> "David Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news7nJa.634$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I have tried to make the site below more search engine
>> friendly. (Only the index page validates at the moment)
>> http://www.catalysys.co.uk/sefriendly/

> Hi, I may not be correct here but if search engines are like
> lynx, where they only see text,

Lynx gives a good aproximation since SEs mostly index the text of
a page. Some search engines may look at image names, but AFAIK,
they don't yet analyze the actual image data. (Some SEs also can
read Word, Excel, PDF, and other types of documents.)

> all of your links are images
> so the text will not be picked up and a search engine will not
> index those words.

Correct. Using relevant alt text will help, the title attribute
may help as well (not certain if this is used by SEs or not). Of
course actual text tends to rate higher for a search engine.

> Try to have a text only navigation area too
> or somehow communicate the function of the page in text so it
> can be picked up.

I see a link at the bottom to a very simple site map. That's what
I typically submit to a search engine. This way nearly every page
of my site is only one or two levels away.

--
Rob - http://rock13.com/
Web Stuff: http://rock13.com/webhelp/