Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: XHTML with IE

Re: XHTML with IE

C A Upsdell

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:H7XIa.880$(E-Mail Removed)...
> As to quirks mode, this is an IE6 only phenomenon. It really means "lets
> pretend to be IE 5.5 or below and reproduce all its bugs". IE6 operates in
> backward compatible mode (read: reproduce the bugs) unless you go to the
> trouble of providing a valid doctype (*) in which case it operates in
> "standards compliant" mode. How bizarre. Most browsers fix the bugs and

move
> on. IE fixes them but requires that you specifically activate those fixes.
> Unfortunately there are still quite a few copyies of IE<6 out there.

Mozilla and Safari also examine the DOCTYPE to determine how strictly to
apply the standards: this is scarcely and IE-only feature.

For details see http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_doctype.htm