Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless network cannot PING

Wireless network cannot PING

kvrnkiran@gmail.com

Hi All,

I am not an expert in making network connections. But, by reading some
articles and searching in google, I could connect my desktop and laptop
(both running Windows XP Pro). I have Compaq B2800 laptop with wireless
network and a desktop with D-Link AirPlus F DWL -G510 Wireless PCI
Adapter.

I have started with an ad-hoc connection and enabled WAP with a key.
When I gave the key on laptop, both my desktop and laptop say they are
connected. The problem starts here. I cannot ping each other. I cannot
access the other computer. My intension is to share files across these
two computers and even internet connection (connected to my desktop). I
have disabled Windows Firewall and Kerio Personal Firewall on those
connections.

Can anyone point me to right direction? Any help is greatly
appreciated.

Regards,
KVRN Kiran Kumar.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You should start first with No security (Like WEP) enable, to make sure that
you can connected both cards have to be configured to Ad-Hoc Mode.
Once you have a connection you might try the security. Take into
consideration and on some Wireless Clients, Ad-Hoc mode might not work with
security On.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I am not an expert in making network connections. But, by reading some
> articles and searching in google, I could connect my desktop and laptop
> (both running Windows XP Pro). I have Compaq B2800 laptop with wireless
> network and a desktop with D-Link AirPlus F DWL -G510 Wireless PCI
> Adapter.
>
> I have started with an ad-hoc connection and enabled WAP with a key.
> When I gave the key on laptop, both my desktop and laptop say they are
> connected. The problem starts here. I cannot ping each other. I cannot
> access the other computer. My intension is to share files across these
> two computers and even internet connection (connected to my desktop). I
> have disabled Windows Firewall and Kerio Personal Firewall on those
> connections.
>
> Can anyone point me to right direction? Any help is greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> KVRN Kiran Kumar.

kvrnkiran@gmail.com

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your reply and time. I have followed your suggestion and
removed the encryption and tried to connect two machines with no luck.
Still the same situation.

I have stopped Kerio firewall on both the computers and ensured that,
Windows Firewall is turned off and tried again with no luck. On double
clicking on the wireless icon in the tray, I found an interesting
thing. On both the computers, there were some sent packets, but, the
received packets are 0.

One more thing is, ping is saying timedout. If I disconnect the
wireless network, then ping says host unreachable.

I am sure I did a mistake. Can you please help me?

Thanks,
KVRN Kiran Kumar.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Basic instruction for Ad-Hoc Sharing here,
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi
If the above did not help, might be that the Wireless Card basic
installation is Not set correct on one (or both) computer.
Set a static IP of the same subnet on both cards.
In General, you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following
these steps.
Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager.
Make sure that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there
is No IRQ conflict, and No Ghost installation.
http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
Step Two. Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify If the above two Steps indicates that
every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.
Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and
or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
If need to Reinstall; Log to this page it have a lot of links to
instructions for Windows Network
Installation -http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I am not an expert in making network connections. But, by reading some
> articles and searching in google, I could connect my desktop and laptop
> (both running Windows XP Pro). I have Compaq B2800 laptop with wireless
> network and a desktop with D-Link AirPlus F DWL -G510 Wireless PCI
> Adapter.
>
> I have started with an ad-hoc connection and enabled WAP with a key.
> When I gave the key on laptop, both my desktop and laptop say they are
> connected. The problem starts here. I cannot ping each other. I cannot
> access the other computer. My intension is to share files across these
> two computers and even internet connection (connected to my desktop). I
> have disabled Windows Firewall and Kerio Personal Firewall on those
> connections.
>
> Can anyone point me to right direction? Any help is greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> KVRN Kiran Kumar.

kvrnkiran@gmail.com

Hi Jack,

Thank you for the information. I will work on that and will get back to
you.

Today I noticed that, both the computers are on different channels. One
is working on 6 and the other is on 11. Does it make any difference?
Anyways, that also didn't helped me. I made both the computers on 11,
still I have the same problem. Both the computers are showing thousands
of packets on ping but 0 on received packets on connection properties.

Thank you very much for your support and time.

Regards,
KVRN Kiran Kumar.

Eugene

Run IPCONFIG /ALL on both computer's, post results

-Eugene

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I am not an expert in making network connections. But, by reading some
> articles and searching in google, I could connect my desktop and laptop
> (both running Windows XP Pro). I have Compaq B2800 laptop with wireless
> network and a desktop with D-Link AirPlus F DWL -G510 Wireless PCI
> Adapter.
>
> I have started with an ad-hoc connection and enabled WAP with a key.
> When I gave the key on laptop, both my desktop and laptop say they are
> connected. The problem starts here. I cannot ping each other. I cannot
> access the other computer. My intension is to share files across these
> two computers and even internet connection (connected to my desktop). I
> have disabled Windows Firewall and Kerio Personal Firewall on those
> connections.
>
> Can anyone point me to right direction? Any help is greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> KVRN Kiran Kumar.

kvrnkiran@gmail.com

Hi All,

At the very first place, sorry for the delay in posting the reply. I
was struck somewhere else.

I had to install wireless network at home urgently and so, I bought a
wireless router. It resolved the problems. Thank you very much for all
for your time.

Kiran.