Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Weird about signed applets ...

Weird about signed applets ...

PMA

Hi there,

I have a very weird behavior of a signed applet :

1) I have made an applet that accesses the local file systems
2) I put all that code into a specific method (say blah())
3) I have designed a very poor interface using AWT to test it, the
interface just calling the blah() method
4) I have signed that stuff
5) I have tested it : everything is OK !

6) I changed my HTML page such as the method blah() is called directly
thru' Javascript then I got the marvellous :
access denied (java.io.FilePermission D:\XXXXXX\YYYYYY.ZZZ read)

I am using JDK 1.5_05

Any clue will help ... I really do not want to design an AWT or SWING
interface to that stuff, my applet is purelly a technical stuff ...

Thanx by advance
Philippe

Jeroen V.

This is for security reasons: the origin of the JavaScript can't be
verified. So allowing applet methods to be called from within Javascript
can be abused by malicious javascript.

If a user confirms the safeness of a signed applet by accepting its
certificate, the user only indicates his trust in the developer of the
applet, not in anything that may use the applet (except for himself,
when interacting with the applet via its GUI).

Jeroen

Security restrictions in signed applets icanoop@gmail.com Java 10 12-29-2006 02:26 AM
Signed Applets, Certificate Authorities John Brayton Java 4 10-21-2006 06:53 PM
what are signed applets ? gk Java 3 11-22-2005 01:32 PM
Creating Signed Applets Manjari Java 3 02-24-2004 08:40 PM
RSA signed applets Rune Andresen Java 2 09-16-2003 08:39 PM

Advertisments