Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Error: Ambiguous match found.

Error: Ambiguous match found.

=?Utf-8?B?QWxleGFuZHJl?=

Hi!
I receive this error in my webapp:

Ambiguous match found.
At line:
Line 1: <%@ page language="C#"
masterpagefile="~/memberscontents/master_interna.master"
autoeventwireup="true" inherits="members_contents_user_profile,
App_Web_user_profile.aspx.73f80179" title="Untitled Page" %>

Somebody can help?
Thanks
Alexandre

=?Utf-8?B?QXVieW9uZQ==?=

"Alexandre" wrote:

> Hi!
> I receive this error in my webapp:
>
> Ambiguous match found.
> At line:
> Line 1: <%@ page language="C#"
> masterpagefile="~/memberscontents/master_interna.master"
> autoeventwireup="true" inherits="members_contents_user_profile,
> App_Web_user_profile.aspx.73f80179" title="Untitled Page" %>
>
> Somebody can help?
> Thanks
> Alexandre

I am having the same problem but only on 1 site did you get any where in
sloving the issue?

=?Utf-8?B?SmltIENodW5kZXZhbGVs?=

Hi,

It seems like you have two variables in your page that differ only in the
case. For example, in your aspx page, you might have

<asp:TextBox ID="UserID" runat="server"/>

and in the code behind file you might have

private Int32 userID = 0;

Note that in my example, even though the variables have different
accessiblity and types, the variable names are similar (the difference is
only in the case).

In my opinion, this is a bug - C# is case sensitive and the above code is
perfectly legal from the point of view of the C# compiler. This explains why
it works as intended from within the VS 2005 IDE. The aspnet_compiler too
does not report any errors when you try to compile you website. However, some
error in the reflection mechanism causes a case insensitive search and that
is the reason for this "Ambiguous match found." error.

Try going through your code carefully and get change variable names that
differ only in their case. You should be fine.

Jim Chundevalel

"Alexandre" wrote:

> Hi!
> I receive this error in my webapp:
>
> Ambiguous match found.
> At line:
> Line 1: <%@ page language="C#"
> masterpagefile="~/memberscontents/master_interna.master"
> autoeventwireup="true" inherits="members_contents_user_profile,
> App_Web_user_profile.aspx.73f80179" title="Untitled Page" %>
>
> Somebody can help?
> Thanks
> Alexandre

=?Utf-8?B?QXVieW9uZQ==?=

I did think of but it very had to find when you have to look through a number
of 2-3 tiered inheritance classes but I could not find anything will have a
closer look.

This appication is on 6 sites and it is only one is giving be the trouble?

Any other thing it could be.

"Jim Chundevalel" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems like you have two variables in your page that differ only in the
> case. For example, in your aspx page, you might have
>
> <asp:TextBox ID="UserID" runat="server"/>
>
> and in the code behind file you might have
>
> private Int32 userID = 0;
>
> Note that in my example, even though the variables have different
> accessiblity and types, the variable names are similar (the difference is
> only in the case).
>
> In my opinion, this is a bug - C# is case sensitive and the above code is
> perfectly legal from the point of view of the C# compiler. This explains why
> it works as intended from within the VS 2005 IDE. The aspnet_compiler too
> does not report any errors when you try to compile you website. However, some
> error in the reflection mechanism causes a case insensitive search and that
> is the reason for this "Ambiguous match found." error.
>
> Try going through your code carefully and get change variable names that
> differ only in their case. You should be fine.
>
> Jim Chundevalel
>
> "Alexandre" wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > I receive this error in my webapp:
> >
> > Ambiguous match found.
> > At line:
> > Line 1: <%@ page language="C#"
> > masterpagefile="~/memberscontents/master_interna.master"
> > autoeventwireup="true" inherits="members_contents_user_profile,
> > App_Web_user_profile.aspx.73f80179" title="Untitled Page" %>
> >
> > Somebody can help?
> > Thanks
> > Alexandre

OnPreInit OnPreInit is offline
Junior Member

You can download a custom build task to catch this at compile time - search for this error at OnPreInit dot com.

Ambiguous match found. Ben ASP .Net 4 03-23-2010 06:57 AM
Ambiguous match found aparna ASP .Net 4 03-26-2008 11:28 AM
parser error message: Ambiguous match found Francois ASP .Net 3 05-22-2007 03:29 PM
"Error Creating Control" - "Ambiguous match found" Craig Jewiss via .NET 247 ASP .Net Building Controls 0 04-26-2004 12:15 AM
Parser Error Message: Ambiguous match found. Denon ASP .Net 2 01-02-2004 09:19 AM

Advertisments