Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Someone changed my wireless network name. How do I fix it?

Someone changed my wireless network name. How do I fix it?

=?Utf-8?B?RUtDb2ZBdm9ubGVh?=

I've had a microsoft MN-500 wireless router for about 2yrs. I paid someone to
install it. I didn't know I was supposed to changed the password and thus
failed to secure it. Recently, someone has changed my wireless network name
to "dummy lock your system". Ok I was dumb, and now I'm trying to smarten
up. I have the original floppy disk that came with it, but can't find the
owners manual. I've looked at some info on this router at microsoft.com but
am totally lost on how to go about changing the name back and then making it
secure with a password. I'm not sure how to do this. How do I get to the
system from my computer to try to change the name. Will I have to reset the
router back to the factory settings? If I reset it back to the factory
settings will I have to re-install the router? Help!

=?Utf-8?B?TWlsdA==?=

Re: "but can't find the owners manual"... Generally, the owners manual can be
viewed or downloaded from the manufacturers website.

Also I believe most routers can be reset to original configuration. Then you
should be able to reconfigure it and put in a new password.

Milt

"EKCofAvonlea" wrote:

> I've had a microsoft MN-500 wireless router for about 2yrs. I paid someone to
> install it. I didn't know I was supposed to changed the password and thus
> failed to secure it. Recently, someone has changed my wireless network name
> to "dummy lock your system". Ok I was dumb, and now I'm trying to smarten
> up. I have the original floppy disk that came with it, but can't find the
> owners manual. I've looked at some info on this router at microsoft.com but
> am totally lost on how to go about changing the name back and then making it
> secure with a password. I'm not sure how to do this. How do I get to the
> system from my computer to try to change the name. Will I have to reset the
> router back to the factory settings? If I reset it back to the factory
> settings will I have to re-install the router? Help!

=?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?=

Reset your router to the defaults by pressing the reset button. Next,
change the password to something other than 'admin' so someone can't change
the SSID again. Then turn on some form of security - WEP is OK, WPA is much
better.

MD

"EKCofAvonlea" wrote:

> I've had a microsoft MN-500 wireless router for about 2yrs. I paid someone to
> install it. I didn't know I was supposed to changed the password and thus
> failed to secure it. Recently, someone has changed my wireless network name
> to "dummy lock your system". Ok I was dumb, and now I'm trying to smarten
> up. I have the original floppy disk that came with it, but can't find the
> owners manual. I've looked at some info on this router at microsoft.com but
> am totally lost on how to go about changing the name back and then making it
> secure with a password. I'm not sure how to do this. How do I get to the
> system from my computer to try to change the name. Will I have to reset the
> router back to the factory settings? If I reset it back to the factory
> settings will I have to re-install the router? Help!

panamared panamared is offline
Junior Member

I have a microsoft mn-500 wireless router and have no Idea what the user name nor the passwords were. It has been in the junk bin for 3 years and now I need it to extend my range .
I tried the hardware reset but it does nothing.
HELP
!

Last edited by panamared; 07-11-2007 at 03:34 AM..