Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How do I secure a wireless modem?

How do I secure a wireless modem?

=?Utf-8?B?U2lsdnVz?=

I am using a 2wire wireless modem for my DSL. I don't use the wireless
networking or anything, but it's putting off the wireless signal. How do I
keep people from using the wireless signal that it uses?

Thanks,
Robert

Jack

Hi
If the device does not provide a menu entry to disable the Wireless.
Get to the Wireless menu, switch On the max. available security (best WPA2,
otherwise WPA, otherwise WEP) and put a long strong encryption key.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Silvus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am using a 2wire wireless modem for my DSL. I don't use the wireless
> networking or anything, but it's putting off the wireless signal. How do
> keep people from using the wireless signal that it uses?
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

=?Utf-8?B?QW5keSBX?=

Hi Silvus,

Alonf with the WPA2 Encryption you can also . . .

Change the SSID Name, all modems and routers have a SSID, thats the name of
the wireless network your modem broadcasts by changing the name will add some
security as it will stop people guessing the name of your network name and
connecting to it, also you should stop it from Broadcasting, there will be a
tick box to disable broadcasting of the SSID, most wireless modems or routers
have this feature.

Secondly if your modem supports MAC address filtering, turn it on and add
just your MAC address to the list, although your not using the wireless it
still means only your machine with that MAC address can access the modem.

Hope that information helps you ?

Andy W

"Silvus" wrote:

> I am using a 2wire wireless modem for my DSL. I don't use the wireless
> networking or anything, but it's putting off the wireless signal. How do I
> keep people from using the wireless signal that it uses?
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Silvus <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> I am using a 2wire wireless modem for my DSL. I don't use the
> wireless networking or anything, but it's putting off the wireless
> signal. How do I keep people from using the wireless signal that it
> uses?
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

In addition to the other replies - whose equipment is this? I ask only
because it is becoming more common for ISPs to provide an 'all-in-one'
device to customers, and the customers often can't manage it themselves at
all.