Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > wierd bloodhound virus message in asp.net

wierd bloodhound virus message in asp.net

VB Programmer

Just loaded up one of my ASP.NET 2.0 projects. When I ran the webapp (IE)
I was warned with this message...

Your system may be vulnerable to BloodHound Virus! We recommend you DOWNLOAD
one of these security software programs to prevent malware infections...

Looked "spamish", so I didn't do anything as instructed above. Is this a
message from Microsoft? I'm up to date with Norton, have done a full system
scan, with no viruses detected. Has anyone else experienced this in
ASP.NET?

Thanks.

S. Justin Gengo

I've never seen anything like that. I'm also runing the latest version of
Norton Internet Security.

Regards,

--
S. Justin Gengo
Web Developer / Programmer

Free code library:
http://www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

"VB Programmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just loaded up one of my ASP.NET 2.0 projects. When I ran the webapp (IE)
> I was warned with this message...
>
> Your system may be vulnerable to BloodHound Virus! We recommend you
> DOWNLOAD one of these security software programs to prevent malware
> infections...
>
> Looked "spamish", so I didn't do anything as instructed above. Is this a
> message from Microsoft? I'm up to date with Norton, have done a full
> system scan, with no viruses detected. Has anyone else experienced this
> in ASP.NET?
>
> Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> Is this a message from Microsoft?

No.

re:
> I'm up to date with Norton, have done a full system scan, with no viruses detected.

Antivirus programs do not detect spy/malware programs

It's likely you have been infected with malware.

Download and run Beta 2 of the free "Windows Defender":
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

You'll probably find several spy programs running embedded in your system.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"VB Programmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just loaded up one of my ASP.NET 2.0 projects. When I ran the webapp (IE) I was warned with this
> message...
>
> Your system may be vulnerable to BloodHound Virus! We recommend you DOWNLOAD one of these security
> software programs to prevent malware infections...
>
> Looked "spamish", so I didn't do anything as instructed above. Is this a message from Microsoft?
> I'm up to date with Norton, have done a full system scan, with no viruses detected. Has anyone
> else experienced this in ASP.NET?
>
> Thanks.

I'd suggest you download yourself a free copy of MS's Windows Defender and
run that too, especially since it seems your current proggie isn't detecting
the problem.
Peter
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

"VB Programmer" wrote:

> Just loaded up one of my ASP.NET 2.0 projects. When I ran the webapp (IE)
> I was warned with this message...
>
> Your system may be vulnerable to BloodHound Virus! We recommend you DOWNLOAD
> one of these security software programs to prevent malware infections...
>
> Looked "spamish", so I didn't do anything as instructed above. Is this a
> message from Microsoft? I'm up to date with Norton, have done a full system
> scan, with no viruses detected. Has anyone else experienced this in
> ASP.NET?
>
> Thanks.

VB Programmer

Downloaded it and ran a FULL scan. Found nothing. Full scan with NORTON
found nothing too.

This keeps happening. 2 messages mostly:
1. Your system may be vulnerable to BloodHound Virus! We recommend you
DOWNLOAD one of these security software programs to prevent malware
infections...
2. NOTICE: If your computer has errors in the registery database or file
system, it could cause unpredictable or erratic behavior, freezes and
crashes. Fixing these errors can increase your computer's performance and
prevent data loss. Would you like to install Sysprotect to check your
computer for free? (Recommended).

Looks like malware. Any suggestions? This is my dev machine so i'm
scared....

Thanks...

"Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd suggest you download yourself a free copy of MS's Windows Defender and
> run that too, especially since it seems your current proggie isn't
> detecting
> the problem.
> Peter
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com
> UnBlog:
> http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
>

> "VB Programmer" wrote:
>
>> Just loaded up one of my ASP.NET 2.0 projects. When I ran the webapp
>> (IE)
>> I was warned with this message...
>>
>> Your system may be vulnerable to BloodHound Virus! We recommend you
>> DOWNLOAD
>> one of these security software programs to prevent malware infections...
>>
>> Looked "spamish", so I didn't do anything as instructed above. Is this a
>> message from Microsoft? I'm up to date with Norton, have done a full
>> system
>> scan, with no viruses detected. Has anyone else experienced this in
>> ASP.NET?
>>
>> Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

SysProtect is classified as a "potentially unwanted program".

It alleges to be a system repair/maintenance application,
but requires paid registration before any issues found can be fixed.

Many of the "invalid" items found appear suspect.
This has been reported to be distributed in wild via trojan Vundo.

Other incarnations of this software exist with the same model
and similar web presences (for example WinFixer).

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/defau...virus_k=139167

McAfee can remove it :
http://vil.nai.com/vil/pups/configuration.aspx

Their home base is :
http://www.sysprotect.com/

Do *not* accept their "free scan" or download their software!

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"VB Programmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Downloaded it and ran a FULL scan. Found nothing. Full scan with NORTON found nothing too.
>
> This keeps happening. 2 messages mostly:
> 1. Your system may be vulnerable to BloodHound Virus! We recommend you DOWNLOAD one of these
> security software programs to prevent malware infections...
> 2. NOTICE: If your computer has errors in the registery database or file system, it could cause
> unpredictable or erratic behavior, freezes and crashes. Fixing these errors can increase your
> computer's performance and prevent data loss. Would you like to install Sysprotect to check your
> computer for free? (Recommended).
>
> Looks like malware. Any suggestions? This is my dev machine so i'm scared....
>
> Thanks...
>
> "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'd suggest you download yourself a free copy of MS's Windows Defender and
>> run that too, especially since it seems your current proggie isn't detecting
>> the problem.
>> Peter
>> --
>> Co-founder, Eggheadcafe.com developer portal:
>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com
>> UnBlog:
>> http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
>>

>> "VB Programmer" wrote:
>>
>>> Just loaded up one of my ASP.NET 2.0 projects. When I ran the webapp (IE)
>>> I was warned with this message...
>>>
>>> Your system may be vulnerable to BloodHound Virus! We recommend you DOWNLOAD
>>> one of these security software programs to prevent malware infections...
>>>
>>> Looked "spamish", so I didn't do anything as instructed above. Is this a
>>> message from Microsoft? I'm up to date with Norton, have done a full system
>>> scan, with no viruses detected. Has anyone else experienced this in
>>> ASP.NET?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

VB Programmer

Very useful info. Thanks!