Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Help

Wireless Help

Bonehead

I have just bought a Laptop for my missus to use and so thought it would be
a good idea to set up wireless router so she can connect to the internet.

The Main PC is connected via a lan cable as it is right next to the router.
I have tried connecting the laptop but it wont have any of it. It is finding
the cennection but will not let me surf the web. I can do it however if I
connect via cable.

I am a total nube to all this so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nath

=?Utf-8?B?bWFyaw==?=

If you log in as admin to the router from the PC (wired to LAN #1 normally),
does it show that the laptop actually connected to the wireless network? Is
the router as configured out of the box? Brand and model router?

"Bonehead" wrote:

> I have just bought a Laptop for my missus to use and so thought it would be
> a good idea to set up wireless router so she can connect to the internet.
>
> The Main PC is connected via a lan cable as it is right next to the router.
> I have tried connecting the laptop but it wont have any of it. It is finding
> the cennection but will not let me surf the web. I can do it however if I
> connect via cable.
>
> I am a total nube to all this so any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nath

Jack

Hi,
Seeing signal in the Wireless configuration application, or reading
somewhere in the system that you are connected, does not mean that you
actually have a functional Wireless connection.
If you can use the Internet with your Wireless Computer, the Wireless
connection is OK. If you do not have an Internet connection available, a
simple way to ascertain that you have a connection is to try to use the
Internet Browser in a Wireless Client computer and find out if you can
connect to the Router's (Access Point) Menus (see your hardware manual for
the Router's IP Address, the login name and the password).
If you cannot connect to the Router this might help.
Once the Wireless is actually connected, you need to configure each computer
Sharing settings. May be this can help http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Bonehead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Qg82g.43410$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have just bought a Laptop for my missus to use and so thought it would be
>a good idea to set up wireless router so she can connect to the internet.
>
> The Main PC is connected via a lan cable as it is right next to the
> router. I have tried connecting the laptop but it wont have any of it. It
> is finding the cennection but will not let me surf the web. I can do it
> however if I connect via cable.
>
> I am a total nube to all this so any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nath

Diamontina Cocktail

"Bonehead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Qg82g.43410$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have just bought a Laptop for my missus to use and so thought it would be
>a good idea to set up wireless router so she can connect to the internet.
>
> The Main PC is connected via a lan cable as it is right next to the
> router. I have tried connecting the laptop but it wont have any of it. It
> is finding the cennection but will not let me surf the web. I can do it
> however if I connect via cable.
>
> I am a total nube to all this so any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nath

Sounds a real lot like your laptop is not using the same IP address as the
router. On your main computer, go to Start, Run then type "cmd" without he
quotes and hit enter. When the shell look alike comes up, do "ipconfig /all"
without the quotes and see what your IP address is. Do the same on the
laptop after you have attempted to connect. I am betting your laptop has an
IP of 169.*.*.* where the "*" is a figure of which I am unsure and that your
main computer is either 192.168.*.* or possibly 10.*.*.* instead. If this is
the case, keep the shell look alike window open and type "ipconfig /renew"
without the quotes and then do the ipconfig /all after it is finished. If it
is in the same range as the main computer, your problems should be solved.
If it isn't then make sure your laptop firewall is off and do it again. If
no good, you can manually set the IP address on the laptop to the range of
the modem. Eg, if the modem used 10.1.1.1 then set the laptop to 10.1.1.10
(to keep confusion out) and also put the modem's IP address in as the
gateway and in the DNS server section either put your ISP's DNS server IP
addresses or just in the primary position put your modem's IP address. After
that, try again and see what happens. It should work now unless it is
something as simple as you having turned wireless off on the laptop and not
realised it.