Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to determine if strangers using wireless connection?

How to determine if strangers using wireless connection?

=?Utf-8?B?SW5kaWdv?=

My connection is so slow. I have xp sp2, norton anti virus, run spybot &
adware. Use Norton's 2006 systemworks and stats are good.

Just recently, download speed became excruciatingly slow, just to open web
pages. Speed of modem is the same, 3-4mps.

Only thing I can think of is some neighbor has linked to my netork. Is there
a way to check if someone is using mine? A guest had linked onto someone
else's network here once. That person somehow "kicked" him off. I know
nothing about how that all wortks. Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?bWFyaw==?=

Would need to know brand and model of wireless router that you are using for
specific instructions. Most routers have an administration port, normally #1
that you can use a web browser to manage the router. From there you can view
the wireless connections, plus setup security so that only your PC/laptop can
access the wireless port. Again specific instructions depend on model or
router, but would be detailed in the instruction manual.

"Indigo" wrote:

> My connection is so slow. I have xp sp2, norton anti virus, run spybot &
> adware. Use Norton's 2006 systemworks and stats are good.
>
> Just recently, download speed became excruciatingly slow, just to open web
> pages. Speed of modem is the same, 3-4mps.
>
> Only thing I can think of is some neighbor has linked to my netork. Is there
> a way to check if someone is using mine? A guest had linked onto someone
> else's network here once. That person somehow "kicked" him off. I know
> nothing about how that all wortks. Any ideas?

Sooner Al [MVP]

If your wireless access point/router is properly secured you won't have
anyone on your network. With that said you can monitor your wireless network
with AirSnare...

http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/

What wireless access point/router do you have?

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

"Indigo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My connection is so slow. I have xp sp2, norton anti virus, run spybot &
> adware. Use Norton's 2006 systemworks and stats are good.
>
> Just recently, download speed became excruciatingly slow, just to open web
> pages. Speed of modem is the same, 3-4mps.
>
> Only thing I can think of is some neighbor has linked to my netork. Is
> there
> a way to check if someone is using mine? A guest had linked onto someone
> else's network here once. That person somehow "kicked" him off. I know
> nothing about how that all wortks. Any ideas?

Diamontina Cocktail

"Indigo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My connection is so slow. I have xp sp2, norton anti virus, run spybot &
> adware. Use Norton's 2006 systemworks and stats are good.
>
> Just recently, download speed became excruciatingly slow, just to open web
> pages. Speed of modem is the same, 3-4mps.
>
> Only thing I can think of is some neighbor has linked to my netork. Is
> there
> a way to check if someone is using mine? A guest had linked onto someone
> else's network here once. That person somehow "kicked" him off. I know
> nothing about how that all wortks. Any ideas?

Yep, if you THINK that may be happening:

1) Do a check of the available wireless access points near to you through
your computer. There may be a new one using the same channel as you. If so,
change channels.

2) If that isn't the case and you still suspect as you said, then find out
the MAC numbers of all the wireless NICs that you want to access your router
and then set up access control which, if your router does it, is done
through it's interface. Allow access only to your own NICs.

3) If you don't have any form of protection - WPA, WEP, whatever - at all,
then you need to do that. Do it NOW.

None of the above keeps a person out who knows what they are doing but if
you have an opportunistic moocher feeding off you who isn't all that
computer literate, then it WILL keep that person out.