Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Where does it get it from ???.......

Where does it get it from ???.......

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=

Hi,

I have just installed a linksys Router/Gateway and i continue to get
difficulty with an upstairs connection from the USB Linksys Network Adapter
that was bought with the linksys Router.

The Router/Gateway is connected downstairs on the MAIN machine and another 2
machines which have inbuilt wirless cards and these are successfully logging
onto the internet. But the problem child is the USB Linksys adapter it
continues to report "you are connected to the access point, but the Internet
cannot be found". Upon trouble shooting i have found that it seems to be
giving out a rouge IP address which begins with 169 and it does not give out
the gateway or DNS addresses.

Please could someone help?
--
Peter

Lem

Peter F wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just installed a linksys Router/Gateway and i continue to get
> difficulty with an upstairs connection from the USB Linksys Network Adapter
> that was bought with the linksys Router.
>
> The Router/Gateway is connected downstairs on the MAIN machine and another 2
> machines which have inbuilt wirless cards and these are successfully logging
> onto the internet. But the problem child is the USB Linksys adapter it
> continues to report "you are connected to the access point, but the Internet
> cannot be found". Upon trouble shooting i have found that it seems to be
> giving out a rouge IP address which begins with 169 and it does not give out
> the gateway or DNS addresses.
>
> Please could someone help?
> --
> Peter

As with virtually all messages generated by Windows, the message that "you are
connected" may not mean what you think it means. IP addresses of the form
169.254.x.x are known as APIPA addresses. When you tell WinXP to get its IP
address from a DHCP server (the usual configuration for computers using a home
router) but for whatever reason it can't do so (e.g., the DHCP server is
unavailable or unreachable), WinXP automatically assigns an address to itself.
See http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html Upon doing so, WinXP reports
that it is "connected" -- only it's connected to itself, not to the access point
that you think it's connected to.

this sounds like you either have not properly configured the USB adapter or it
is too far away (considering the particular construction of your building) to
receive the transmission from the router.

have you changed the SSID in the adapter from linksys to whatever you set in the
router (and if you didn't change the router from the default, you should do so)?

try disabling all encryption (on both router and adapter). Once you establish
the link, you can re-enable encryption.

if you can bring the upstairs computer down to the router, see if you can
establish a connection when in close physical proximity.

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=

Lem,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

Your last suggestion i have tried but with exactly the same result, but with
a much better connection 94%.

I have changed the SSID to one that i have created but still get the
problem. I am at odds as what to do and i am even contemplating taking it
back to where i bought it and asking for a replacement.

If you can suggest anything i will be greatly appreciated.

--
Peter

"Lem" wrote:

> Peter F wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just installed a linksys Router/Gateway and i continue to get
> > difficulty with an upstairs connection from the USB Linksys Network Adapter
> > that was bought with the linksys Router.
> >
> > The Router/Gateway is connected downstairs on the MAIN machine and another 2
> > machines which have inbuilt wirless cards and these are successfully logging
> > onto the internet. But the problem child is the USB Linksys adapter it
> > continues to report "you are connected to the access point, but the Internet
> > cannot be found". Upon trouble shooting i have found that it seems to be
> > giving out a rouge IP address which begins with 169 and it does not give out
> > the gateway or DNS addresses.
> >
> > Please could someone help?
> > --
> > Peter

> As with virtually all messages generated by Windows, the message that "you are
> connected" may not mean what you think it means. IP addresses of the form
> 169.254.x.x are known as APIPA addresses. When you tell WinXP to get its IP
> address from a DHCP server (the usual configuration for computers using a home
> router) but for whatever reason it can't do so (e.g., the DHCP server is
> unavailable or unreachable), WinXP automatically assigns an address to itself.
> See http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html Upon doing so, WinXP reports
> that it is "connected" -- only it's connected to itself, not to the access point
> that you think it's connected to.
>
> this sounds like you either have not properly configured the USB adapter or it
> is too far away (considering the particular construction of your building) to
> receive the transmission from the router.
>
> have you changed the SSID in the adapter from linksys to whatever you set in the
> router (and if you didn't change the router from the default, you should do so)?
>
> try disabling all encryption (on both router and adapter). Once you establish
> the link, you can re-enable encryption.
>
> if you can bring the upstairs computer down to the router, see if you can
> establish a connection when in close physical proximity.

Lem

Well, it could be a defective unit, but there are a few more things to try...

Are you using WindowsXP to manage your wireless connection or are you using the
Linksys utility? I'm assuming that you have a Linksys WUSB54G. Take a look at p. 16
of the User Guide (if you don't have yours, see http://tinyurl.com/cse3t ). Based on
how you phrased your initial question, I'm guessing that you're using the Linksys
Wireless Network Monitor, so I'll base the following on that assumption.

Click the "More Information" button, and you should get the Status screen. Your
display should be almost identical to that shown on p. 18 of the manual, except for
the entry next to "MAC" (that's an identifier unique to the particular piece of
hardware you have) and perhaps the last 3 digits of the IP address (e.g., you might
show 192.168.1.102). Also, the SSID should the new name you selected and configured
in your router. If anything is different, post back with that information.

Click the "back" button to return to the Link Information screen. Click the "Site
Survey" tab. This screen tells you what wireless networks are within range of your
USB adapter. On the left, you will see a list of available wireless networks. If
there are no entries in this list, the USB adapter is out of range of your wireless
router. At least one of the entries in the list should be the new SSID that you
configured in your router. Click on it. The "site information" box should show the
SSID and channel number, and should report "wireless mode" as "infrastructure" and
"security" as "disabled". If you have other values, or if your router's SSID isn't in
the list, post back with that info.

Before clicking the "connect" button, click the "Profiles" tab. If you have a
"Default" profile, what is shown for its SSID, and wireless mode, channel, security,
and authentication settings? Do you have any other profiles?

the "Connect" button. What happens?

If you're using Windows to configure your wireless settings instead of the Linksys
utility, the procedure is similar, but the screens are different. What you want to do
is find the "View Wireless Networks" or "Choose a wireless network" screen. Then
select the network with the SSID corresponding to your router and click Connect. Once
you're able to connect, you can tell Windows that it's your preferred network and to
connect to it automatically. See
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg1102.mspx for pictures
and details.

Good luck.

Peter F wrote:

> Lem,
>
> Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.
>
> Your last suggestion i have tried but with exactly the same result, but with
> a much better connection 94%.
>
> I have changed the SSID to one that i have created but still get the
> problem. I am at odds as what to do and i am even contemplating taking it
> back to where i bought it and asking for a replacement.
>
> If you can suggest anything i will be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Peter
>
> "Lem" wrote:
>
> > Peter F wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have just installed a linksys Router/Gateway and i continue to get
> > > difficulty with an upstairs connection from the USB Linksys Network Adapter
> > > that was bought with the linksys Router.
> > >
> > > The Router/Gateway is connected downstairs on the MAIN machine and another 2
> > > machines which have inbuilt wirless cards and these are successfully logging
> > > onto the internet. But the problem child is the USB Linksys adapter it
> > > continues to report "you are connected to the access point, but the Internet
> > > cannot be found". Upon trouble shooting i have found that it seems to be
> > > giving out a rouge IP address which begins with 169 and it does not give out
> > > the gateway or DNS addresses.
> > >
> > > Please could someone help?
> > > --
> > > Peter

> > As with virtually all messages generated by Windows, the message that "you are
> > connected" may not mean what you think it means. IP addresses of the form
> > 169.254.x.x are known as APIPA addresses. When you tell WinXP to get its IP
> > address from a DHCP server (the usual configuration for computers using a home
> > router) but for whatever reason it can't do so (e.g., the DHCP server is
> > unavailable or unreachable), WinXP automatically assigns an address to itself.
> > See http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html Upon doing so, WinXP reports
> > that it is "connected" -- only it's connected to itself, not to the access point
> > that you think it's connected to.
> >
> > this sounds like you either have not properly configured the USB adapter or it
> > is too far away (considering the particular construction of your building) to
> > receive the transmission from the router.
> >
> > have you changed the SSID in the adapter from linksys to whatever you set in the
> > router (and if you didn't change the router from the default, you should do so)?
> >
> > try disabling all encryption (on both router and adapter). Once you establish
> > the link, you can re-enable encryption.
> >
> > if you can bring the upstairs computer down to the router, see if you can
> > establish a connection when in close physical proximity.

=?Utf-8?B?RG9jQnJvd24=?=

Not to be discouraging, but I'm having a similar problem with a D-Link 624
router and compaq laptop. When I have the router configured as an open AP
with no encryption, the laptop connects just fine. As soon as I enable ether
WEP or WPA, I can't get it to work. The router and laptop both say I'm
authenticated on the Wi-Fi, the router DHCP display says it issued an IP to
the appropriate MAC, but the laptop didn't get it. The connection mgr on the
laptop times out and gets that 169... address. The funny thing, every once in
a while it WILL connect and work. Oh, and a hard wire to the router works
just fine.

I've tried another Wi-Fi card, tried it at a friends house (same router,
though), disabled everthing I can think of on the laptop. Reset and
reconfigured the router several times.

Next, I want to blow away the networking stack and start over. How would I
do that?

--
John S.

"Peter F" wrote:

> Lem,
>
> Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.
>
> Your last suggestion i have tried but with exactly the same result, but with
> a much better connection 94%.
>
> I have changed the SSID to one that i have created but still get the
> problem. I am at odds as what to do and i am even contemplating taking it
> back to where i bought it and asking for a replacement.
>
> If you can suggest anything i will be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Peter
>

> "Lem" wrote:
>
> > Peter F wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have just installed a linksys Router/Gateway and i continue to get
> > > difficulty with an upstairs connection from the USB Linksys Network Adapter
> > > that was bought with the linksys Router.
> > >
> > > The Router/Gateway is connected downstairs on the MAIN machine and another 2
> > > machines which have inbuilt wirless cards and these are successfully logging
> > > onto the internet. But the problem child is the USB Linksys adapter it
> > > continues to report "you are connected to the access point, but the Internet
> > > cannot be found". Upon trouble shooting i have found that it seems to be
> > > giving out a rouge IP address which begins with 169 and it does not give out
> > > the gateway or DNS addresses.
> > >
> > > Please could someone help?
> > > --
> > > Peter

> > As with virtually all messages generated by Windows, the message that "you are
> > connected" may not mean what you think it means. IP addresses of the form
> > 169.254.x.x are known as APIPA addresses. When you tell WinXP to get its IP
> > address from a DHCP server (the usual configuration for computers using a home
> > router) but for whatever reason it can't do so (e.g., the DHCP server is
> > unavailable or unreachable), WinXP automatically assigns an address to itself.
> > See http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html Upon doing so, WinXP reports
> > that it is "connected" -- only it's connected to itself, not to the access point
> > that you think it's connected to.
> >
> > this sounds like you either have not properly configured the USB adapter or it
> > is too far away (considering the particular construction of your building) to
> > receive the transmission from the router.
> >
> > have you changed the SSID in the adapter from linksys to whatever you set in the
> > router (and if you didn't change the router from the default, you should do so)?
> >
> > try disabling all encryption (on both router and adapter). Once you establish
> > the link, you can re-enable encryption.
> >
> > if you can bring the upstairs computer down to the router, see if you can
> > establish a connection when in close physical proximity.

Jack

Hi,
Seeing signal in the Wireless configuration application, or reading
somewhere in the system that you are connected, does not mean that you
actually have a functional Wireless connection.
If you can use the Internet with your Wireless Computer, the Wireless
connection is OK. If you do not have an Internet connection available, a
simple way to ascertain that you have a connection is to try to use the
Internet Browser in a Wireless Client computer and find out if you can
connect to the Router's (Access Point) Menus (see your hardware manual for
the Router's IP Address, the login name and the password).
If you cannot connect to the Router this might help.
Once the Wireless is actually connected, you need to configure each computer
Sharing settings. May be this can help http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Peter F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have just installed a linksys Router/Gateway and i continue to get
> difficulty with an upstairs connection from the USB Linksys Network
> Adapter
> that was bought with the linksys Router.
>
> The Router/Gateway is connected downstairs on the MAIN machine and another
> 2
> machines which have inbuilt wirless cards and these are successfully
> logging
> onto the internet. But the problem child is the USB Linksys adapter it
> continues to report "you are connected to the access point, but the
> Internet
> cannot be found". Upon trouble shooting i have found that it seems to be
> giving out a rouge IP address which begins with 169 and it does not give
> out
> the gateway or DNS addresses.
>
> Please could someone help?
> --
> Peter

Diamontina Cocktail

"Peter F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have just installed a linksys Router/Gateway and i continue to get
> difficulty with an upstairs connection from the USB Linksys Network
> Adapter
> that was bought with the linksys Router.
>
> The Router/Gateway is connected downstairs on the MAIN machine and another
> 2
> machines which have inbuilt wirless cards and these are successfully
> logging
> onto the internet. But the problem child is the USB Linksys adapter it
> continues to report "you are connected to the access point, but the
> Internet
> cannot be found". Upon trouble shooting i have found that it seems to be
> giving out a rouge IP address which begins with 169 and it does not give
> out
> the gateway or DNS addresses.
>
> Please could someone help?
> --
> Peter

Manually set the IP address of the problem child to the range the modem
uses, put the modem in at the gateway and provide either your ISP DNS
numbers while setting the other numbers up on the problem child or if you
are unsure what they are, then provide the modem's IP number in the primary
DNS IP number field. The 169.*.*.* address is something that happens when it
cant find an IP address, quite often.

Eugene

Start from scratch.

Turn off all encryption and try to connect.

The 169.x.x.x address suggest that the USB device is not pulling a IP from
the router.

Take another laptop upstairs to the same location and scan for the router.
If the 2nd computer/laptop can see the router and connect to the router-post
results.

-Eugene