Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Need help with N-Tier construction (Business layer)

Need help with N-Tier construction (Business layer)

Paul

Hello, and thanks for listening.

I have a Stored Procedure as follows:
--
PROCEDURE [PaoloPignatelli].[GetOneStoreByUserName3]

-- Add the parameters for the stored procedure here

@UserName Nvarchar (50)

AS

SELECT StoreID

FROM dbo.Stores

WHERE (StoreOwnerUserName = @UserName)

--
This works in SQL Server 2005; I input a UserName, and get a StoreID.
///

When I see if things work so far, they do, I Preview Data, enter a value,
and receive the correct StoreID.

Now comes my question.
How do I write a class (a business layer) that will allow me to access this
data?
I added a Class File to the App_Code folder and called it Stores.vb.
I tried:
Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic

Imports System

Imports System.Data

Public Class Stores

Public Function GetStoreID(ByVal UserName As String) As DataTable

Dim StoreDB As New
OneStoreByUserNameTableAdapters.GetOneStoreByUserN ame3DataTableTableAdapter

Return StoreDB.GetStoreIDByUserName(UserName)

End Function

End Class

---

No errors on page .... (but I know that means little...)

Then on the aspx.vb page where I wish to consume the class I have

---------------

Handles Me.Load

Dim UserName As String = "Paolo1"

Dim myStore As New Stores

Label1.Text = myStore.GetStoreID(UserName).ToString()

End Sub

---

I get no errors, but when I view in browser, I also get in the label the
text:

GetOneStoreByUserName3DataTable

and not the integer I was hoping for...

How do I get the label to spit out the integer I need? Any and all help is
appreciated,

Paul

Thanks.

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

in your line:

Label1.Text = myStore.GetStoreID(UserName).ToString()

note that GetStoreID returns a DataTable instance, not a string value. the
ToString function of DataTable return the class name. you proably want to
access a row and column in the datatable.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

news:5Kr1g.9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, and thanks for listening.
>
> I have a Stored Procedure as follows:
> --
> PROCEDURE [PaoloPignatelli].[GetOneStoreByUserName3]
>
> -- Add the parameters for the stored procedure here
>
> @UserName Nvarchar (50)
>
> AS
>
> SELECT StoreID
>
> FROM dbo.Stores
>
> WHERE (StoreOwnerUserName = @UserName)
>
> --
> This works in SQL Server 2005; I input a UserName, and get a StoreID.
> ///
> In my Website, using the wizard, I created an
> XSD file called OneStoreByUserName, and on it a
> TableAdapter called GetOneStoreByUserName3DataTableTableAdapter, and a
> GetMethodName of
> GetStoreIDByUserName.
> (it appears as GetMethodName of GetStoreIDByUserName(@UserName,@StoreID) )
>
> When I see if things work so far, they do, I Preview Data, enter a value,
> and receive the correct StoreID.
>
> Now comes my question.
> How do I write a class (a business layer) that will allow me to access
> this data?
> I added a Class File to the App_Code folder and called it Stores.vb.
> I tried:
> Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic
>
> Imports System
>
> Imports System.Data
>
> Public Class Stores
>

> Public Function GetStoreID(ByVal UserName As String) As DataTable
>
> Dim StoreDB As New
> OneStoreByUserNameTableAdapters.GetOneStoreByUserN ame3DataTableTableAdapter
>
> Return StoreDB.GetStoreIDByUserName(UserName)
>
> End Function
>
> End Class
>
> ---
>
> No errors on page .... (but I know that means little...)
>
> Then on the aspx.vb page where I wish to consume the class I have
>
> ---------------

> System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
>
> Dim UserName As String = "Paolo1"
>
> Dim myStore As New Stores
>
> Label1.Text = myStore.GetStoreID(UserName).ToString()
>
> End Sub
>
> ---
>
> I get no errors, but when I view in browser, I also get in the label the
> text:
>
> GetOneStoreByUserName3DataTable
>
> and not the integer I was hoping for...
>

> How do I get the label to spit out the integer I need? Any and all help is
> appreciated,
>

> Paul
>
> Thanks.

MSDN

Label1.Text = myStore.GetStoreID(UserName).Rows(0)("ColumnName") .ToString

news:5Kr1g.9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, and thanks for listening.
>
> I have a Stored Procedure as follows:
> --
> PROCEDURE [PaoloPignatelli].[GetOneStoreByUserName3]
>
> -- Add the parameters for the stored procedure here
>
> @UserName Nvarchar (50)
>
> AS
>
> SELECT StoreID
>
> FROM dbo.Stores
>
> WHERE (StoreOwnerUserName = @UserName)
>
> --
> This works in SQL Server 2005; I input a UserName, and get a StoreID.
> ///
> In my Website, using the wizard, I created an
> XSD file called OneStoreByUserName, and on it a
> TableAdapter called GetOneStoreByUserName3DataTableTableAdapter, and a
> GetMethodName of
> GetStoreIDByUserName.
> (it appears as GetMethodName of GetStoreIDByUserName(@UserName,@StoreID) )
>
> When I see if things work so far, they do, I Preview Data, enter a value,
> and receive the correct StoreID.
>
> Now comes my question.
> How do I write a class (a business layer) that will allow me to access
> this data?
> I added a Class File to the App_Code folder and called it Stores.vb.
> I tried:
> Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic
>
> Imports System
>
> Imports System.Data
>
> Public Class Stores
>

> Public Function GetStoreID(ByVal UserName As String) As DataTable
>
> Dim StoreDB As New
> OneStoreByUserNameTableAdapters.GetOneStoreByUserN ame3DataTableTableAdapter
>
> Return StoreDB.GetStoreIDByUserName(UserName)
>
> End Function
>
> End Class
>
> ---
>
> No errors on page .... (but I know that means little...)
>
> Then on the aspx.vb page where I wish to consume the class I have
>
> ---------------

> System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
>
> Dim UserName As String = "Paolo1"
>
> Dim myStore As New Stores
>
> Label1.Text = myStore.GetStoreID(UserName).ToString()
>
> End Sub
>
> ---
>
> I get no errors, but when I view in browser, I also get in the label the
> text:
>
> GetOneStoreByUserName3DataTable
>
> and not the integer I was hoping for...
>

> How do I get the label to spit out the integer I need? Any and all help is
> appreciated,
>

> Paul
>
> Thanks.

Paul