Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > log4j file appender relative path + sysdeo plugin in Eclipse forlaunching Tomcat

log4j file appender relative path + sysdeo plugin in Eclipse forlaunching Tomcat

Alex Hunsley

I've had this issue before, and found a solution before, which now
eludes me...

(Using Tomcat 5.5.12 under XP Pro, Eclipse 3.1.2 + Sysdeo plugin.)

I have a tomcat servlet that uses log4j to write to a file appender (i.e
a file). The file name for the appender is specified as a relative path
in the usual way.
If I launch Tomcat using the tomcat monitor program (i.e. outside
Eclipse), log4j writes to a log file with a path relative to the servlet
root, which is the desired behaviour. However, if I launch Tomcat using
the Sysdeo plugin in Eclipse, log4j constructs the log file path
relative to the Eclipse install directory, with undesirable results.

How can I get log4j to construct the log file path relative to the
servlet root when launching Tomcat from Sysdeo in Eclipse?

I've googled till I'm schmoogled and tried the log4j docs with no luck.
Also, can't see any likely looking settings for this problem in
Eclipse/Sysdeo...