Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > mobile website goes to login page but not further

mobile website goes to login page but not further

SJ

I have a mobile web application running on a server at work. There is a
strange thing happening though:
1) I can access and login to my mobile web app from any internet browser.
(good thing).
2) I can access and login to my mobile web app from any Palm Treo web
browser. (good thing).
3) When I use a regular mobile phone (samsung/motorola...etc) and load up my
website on the browser, it takes me to the login page. Now, when I enter my
username and password, it doesn't move forward. After about 5 mins it comes
back with a "Data server unavailable" error.

Now why would my web app work on the Treo and not on ANY other mobile phone?

Btw, I installed the exact same webapp on another server (on a different
network) and tried the above phones and it works just fine. So I know its
not a carrier signal issue.

Any ideas?

thanks,
-SJ

Jeff Dillon

Have you tried with other test pages that bypass the login page?

Jeff
"SJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FSa1g.66539$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>I have a mobile web application running on a server at work. There is a
> strange thing happening though:
> 1) I can access and login to my mobile web app from any internet browser.
> (good thing).
> 2) I can access and login to my mobile web app from any Palm Treo web
> browser. (good thing).
> 3) When I use a regular mobile phone (samsung/motorola...etc) and load up
> my
> website on the browser, it takes me to the login page. Now, when I enter
> my
> username and password, it doesn't move forward. After about 5 mins it
> comes
> back with a "Data server unavailable" error.
>
> Now why would my web app work on the Treo and not on ANY other mobile
> phone?
>
> Btw, I installed the exact same webapp on another server (on a different
> network) and tried the above phones and it works just fine. So I know its
> not a carrier signal issue.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> -SJ

SJ

Well, I've designed the application so that if you try to go to another
webpage directly, it will redirect you to the login page. And this works.
So, say if i type xxx.xx.xxx.xx/wap/Index.aspx, it redirects me to the
/wap/Login.aspx page.

Now when I type the username and password, it behaves the same way as noted
below in my previous posting.

-SJ.

"Jeff Dillon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you tried with other test pages that bypass the login page?
>
> Jeff
> "SJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:FSa1g.66539$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> >I have a mobile web application running on a server at work. There is a
> > strange thing happening though:
> > 1) I can access and login to my mobile web app from any internet

browser.
> > (good thing).
> > 2) I can access and login to my mobile web app from any Palm Treo web
> > browser. (good thing).
> > 3) When I use a regular mobile phone (samsung/motorola...etc) and load

up
> > my
> > website on the browser, it takes me to the login page. Now, when I enter
> > my
> > username and password, it doesn't move forward. After about 5 mins it
> > comes
> > back with a "Data server unavailable" error.
> >
> > Now why would my web app work on the Treo and not on ANY other mobile
> > phone?
> >
> > Btw, I installed the exact same webapp on another server (on a different
> > network) and tried the above phones and it works just fine. So I know

its
> > not a carrier signal issue.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > thanks,
> > -SJ

Jeff Dillon

I was just suggesting removing the login requirement, and see if you can
just go straight to the target page (as a test)

Jeff
"SJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news5c1g.48370$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Well, I've designed the application so that if you try to go to another
> webpage directly, it will redirect you to the login page. And this works.
> So, say if i type xxx.xx.xxx.xx/wap/Index.aspx, it redirects me to the
> /wap/Login.aspx page.
>
> Now when I type the username and password, it behaves the same way as
> noted
> below in my previous posting.
>
> -SJ.
>
> "Jeff Dillon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Have you tried with other test pages that bypass the login page?
>>
>> Jeff
>> "SJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:FSa1g.66539$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> >I have a mobile web application running on a server at work. There is a
>> > strange thing happening though:
>> > 1) I can access and login to my mobile web app from any internet

> browser.
>> > (good thing).
>> > 2) I can access and login to my mobile web app from any Palm Treo web
>> > browser. (good thing).
>> > 3) When I use a regular mobile phone (samsung/motorola...etc) and load

> up
>> > my
>> > website on the browser, it takes me to the login page. Now, when I
>> > enter
>> > my
>> > username and password, it doesn't move forward. After about 5 mins it
>> > comes
>> > back with a "Data server unavailable" error.
>> >
>> > Now why would my web app work on the Treo and not on ANY other mobile
>> > phone?
>> >
>> > Btw, I installed the exact same webapp on another server (on a
>> > different
>> > network) and tried the above phones and it works just fine. So I know

> its
>> > not a carrier signal issue.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > thanks,
>> > -SJ

SJ

Update: Apparently the request doesn't reach the server when I hit the Login
button. I know there is a DMZ on the network. Would that pose a problem for
WAP?