Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Advanced Wireless Routing

Advanced Wireless Routing

Shawnmb

In short, I'm looking to get a second wireless router for this room to
use as an access point of sorts. This router should connect wirelessly
to my main router, is this plausable?

Thanks,
Shawn

Malke

Shawnmb wrote:

> In short, I'm looking to get a second wireless router for this room to
> use as an access point of sorts. This router should connect wirelessly
> to my main router, is this plausable?
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Yes, but why not just buy a wireless access point? If you do buy a
router instead of an access point, turn off DHCP on it and assign it a
static IP. Most router mftr.'s have instructions on their websites how
to do this.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

GTS

Some wireless routers have a bridge mode that can do this, but others do
not. What is it you really want to do?
--

"Shawnmb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> In short, I'm looking to get a second wireless router for this room to
> use as an access point of sorts. This router should connect wirelessly
> to my main router, is this plausable?
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Shawnmb

Well, I was thinking TigerDirect has a good "free router" deal going,
I'd rather get that than shell out for an access point. Here's a link:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...700-2284%20ISS

That would essentially be the "sub router" connecting to my Linksys
WRT54GS. Would the different between companies and standards cause a
performance loss? Is this idea do-able?

Jack

Best and cheapest solution would be few Wireless Cable/DSL Router connected
between them with cable, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

If one is allergic to CATS (Cat5e) then the solution is WDS (
http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html ).

As far as the Brand name devices go, out of the box, Buffalo Tech. and some
of the Belkin 802.11g line of Wireless Router are WDS. Flashable Linksys
WRT54g can be made with 3rd party firmware WDS as well.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Shawnmb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> In short, I'm looking to get a second wireless router for this room to
> use as an access point of sorts. This router should connect wirelessly
> to my main router, is this plausable?
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Eugene

FYI

You should stray away from mixing and matching different manfacturer's
product unless you know what you are doing.. In my experience, some times
you run into little problems that you will tear your hair out trying to
figure out.(i.e, linksys use's a passphrase, where as buffalo don't.
Sometimes they won't work together)-as you know Buffalo won't support
Linksys and Linksys won't support Buffalo, so you will be left with trying
to find someone in a forum or news group who can show you how.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...