Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > package path names

package path names

wizumwalt

Just curious about how most people name the package paths of a website
for a customer.

Do you normally make the packaging path under the name of the customer,
the name of the developing company, or ... does it depend on some other
conditions?

package com.customer.packages;

or

package com.development_co.packages;

or

?

Roedy Green

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 01:45:26 GMT, wizumwalt <(E-Mail Removed)>

>package com.customer.packages;
>
>or
>
>package com.development_co.packages;

who own the code? Is the code for that specific customer or it is
pretty generic?

In projects I have been involved in there was a strong distinction
between shared core code and customer specific application code. You
had to be much more careful about any mods to the core system, since
it could make all manner of quiescent projects stop working.

Just from the point of view of maintaining uniqueness, I think
packages should be named after the shop that wrote them. That way you
can be sure you won't get clashes. The name of the customer comes
somewhere in the package structure after the com.mindprod part.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

William Z.

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 01:45:26 GMT, wizumwalt <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

>>package com.customer.packages;
>>
>>or
>>
>>package com.development_co.packages;

> who own the code? Is the code for that specific customer or it is
> pretty generic?

The code is for that specific customer, but I was wondering if it's
common practice for the shop that wrote the code to put in their name as
sort of a sig, responsible, ...

> In projects I have been involved in there was a strong distinction
> between shared core code and customer specific application code. You
> had to be much more careful about any mods to the core system, since
> it could make all manner of quiescent projects stop working.

The customer wouldn't know how to maintain the code, and I was wondering
if there might also be some sort of benefit for the shop that wrote it
to put their name in, or if it should even be put in.

> Just from the point of view of maintaining uniqueness, I think
> packages should be named after the shop that wrote them. That way you
> can be sure you won't get clashes. The name of the customer comes
> somewhere in the package structure after the com.mindprod part.

Interesting.

Roedy Green

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 03:42:16 GMT, "William Z." <(E-Mail Removed)>

>The code is for that specific customer, but I was wondering if it's
>common practice for the shop that wrote the code to put in their name as
>sort of a sig, responsible, ...

what is the package name for?

1. to ensure uniqueness.

2. to figure out where to go to find the latest class files or the
source.

Both of those suggest using the author's name rather than the
customer's as primary.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Chris Smith

wizumwalt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Just curious about how most people name the package paths of a website
> for a customer.
>
> Do you normally make the packaging path under the name of the customer,
> the name of the developing company, or ... does it depend on some other
> conditions?

I haven't thought much about it, but I suppose it would depend on who
will own the code. If this is code being written for hire so that the
customer would own the code, then you'd want to name packages after the
customer. If it's developed and then licensed to the customer but you
intend to retain ownership, then use your own company name in the
package.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Chris Smith

William Z. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The customer wouldn't know how to maintain the code, and I was wondering
> if there might also be some sort of benefit for the shop that wrote it
> to put their name in, or if it should even be put in.

Comments work for making a note of who wrote the code, if that's your
goal. If you don't own the code, then don't use your company name as a
package. Your customer may not have the expertise to maintain the code,
but they could hire such expertise, or contract the job to a third
party... in any such case, your package name would soon become rather
out of place.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

tom fredriksen

Chris Smith wrote:
> I haven't thought much about it, but I suppose it would depend on who
> will own the code. If this is code being written for hire so that the
> customer would own the code, then you'd want to name packages after the
> customer. If it's developed and then licensed to the customer but you
> intend to retain ownership, then use your own company name in the
> package.

That's my thoughts exactly. Ownership of the code is the key and it
should be stated in the contract who owns it and what rights each part
has for future use, maintenance, cost/pay etc
There can of course be other considerations, but that would have to be
considered individually and should be in the contract.

/tom