Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Sun Certification

Sun Certification

Daniele

Do you guys think that the Java Sun Certification is usefull ?
I mean, is it enough to begin working with Java or not ?

Thanks

Adam Maass

"Daniele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Do you guys think that the Java Sun Certification is usefull ?
> I mean, is it enough to begin working with Java or not ?

Short answer:

SCJP is worthless as a credential. SCJD is worth something, but IMHO would
only merit "experience equivalent to about two years in the industry" if
there were no other experience on the resume. The other Java certifications
I don't have experience with.

There is a chicken-and-the-egg problem with the certifications; so few
people have them that nobody bothers asking for them. Because nobody asks
for them, no-one bothers to obtain them. Knowledge of the Java platform and
language is generally proved during a technical interview in other ways.

-- Adam Maass

Chris Smith

Daniele <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Do you guys think that the Java Sun Certification is usefull ?
> I mean, is it enough to begin working with Java or not ?

I generally pay attention to it when hiring. It won't get you a senior-
level position, though. Depends on what your goals are.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

josh.s17@gmail.com

It depends what you define as useful. Maybe useful for learning but not
so useful for getting a job.

I found the Sun Certified Web Developer exam a good introduction to the
JSPs and Servlets and it helped get me a job using that technology.
However I found the SCJP tends to focus on the less useful and more
cyptic parts of the language (inner classes etc).

The value of certification really depends on the employer though.
Experience will always be more valuable, although some employers will
pay attention to any certification. However if you are having trouble
getting the experience then it is better than nothing.

Josh Falter

I found the SCJP exam to have alot of esoteric stuff on it that I don't
personally use all that much. However, it is another notch on your
resume that can set you apart from other folks when trying to get a
job.

The exams after that do carry more weight in terms of indicating your
knowledge of the subject.

William Brogden

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:37:38 +0100, Daniele <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Do you guys think that the Java Sun Certification is usefull ?
> I mean, is it enough to begin working with Java or not ?
>
> Thanks

Study for the SCJP will expose you to many aspects of the language
you might otherwise skip and give you more confidence.

Bill

marcusnewsgreen@gmail.com

If an employer has to choose between two candidates of approximatley
the same ability, the Programmer Certification exam can tip the
balance. I have some information on the exam which you can see at

http://www.examulator.com/moodle/course/view.php?id=3

sssrrr sssrrr is offline
Junior Member

No, not at all.

I have given interviews in Sun, where the managers laugh if you say you are
Sun certified.

Sun managers give no value to their own certification, why should the outside world?

I am thinking of taking it out from my resume.