Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > use java to access oracle database

use java to access oracle database

david wolf

I am writing a java program to access oracle database. My understanding
is that in order to do that I have to:

1) install oracle odbc driver in the windows xp.

2) setup a data source name in windows control panel's data source
manager.

3) Download the oracle jdbc driver which is a jar file.

3) Write the java code to connect to the database.

My question is:

1) Where can I get oracle odbc driver that can be installed in windows
that windows xp will recoginze in ODBC data source administrator?

2) If my database in located on another machine, how to setup the data
source in ODBC data source adminstrator?

jlowery05

If you use a JDBC type 2 driver, you don't need ODBC. See:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tec..._faq.htm#01_01

jcsnippets.atspace.com

"david wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I am writing a java program to access oracle database. My understanding
> is that in order to do that I have to:
>
> 1) install oracle odbc driver in the windows xp.
>
> 2) setup a data source name in windows control panel's data source
> manager.
>
> 3) Download the oracle jdbc driver which is a jar file.
>
> 3) Write the java code to connect to the database.
>
> My question is:
>
> 1) Where can I get oracle odbc driver that can be installed in windows
> that windows xp will recoginze in ODBC data source administrator?
>
> 2) If my database in located on another machine, how to setup the data
> source in ODBC data source adminstrator?

How about using JDBC?

http://jcsnippets.atspace.com/java/d...-database.html

Best regards,

JayCee
--
http://jcsnippets.atspace.com/
a collection of source code, tips and tricks

steve

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 01:38:18 +0800, david wolf wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>):

> I am writing a java program to access oracle database. My understanding
> is that in order to do that I have to:
>
> 1) install oracle odbc driver in the windows xp.
>
> 2) setup a data source name in windows control panel's data source
> manager.
>
> 3) Download the oracle jdbc driver which is a jar file.
>
> 3) Write the java code to connect to the database.

you only need no 3.
> My question is:
>
> 1) Where can I get oracle odbc driver that can be installed in windows
> that windows xp will recoginze in ODBC data source administrator?

odbc drivers for oracle can be downloaded from their site.
> 2) If my database in located on another machine, how to setup the data
> source in ODBC data source adminstrator?

access to offsite databases is via a url or an ip address.