Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > [ Web Services, Apache AXIS 1.3] java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/xml/rpc/client/BasicService

[ Web Services, Apache AXIS 1.3] java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/xml/rpc/client/BasicService

rhimbo

Hi all,

Tomcat 5.5.15, Apache AXIS 1.3, Linux fedora core4 ... JDK 1.5.0_06

I have a web service deployed. From the browser all looks good. Hitting
the following URLs show my web service as expected:
http://localhost:8080/axis/servlet/AxisServlet
http://localhost:8080/axis/services

Clicking on the "wsdl" link for my web service displays the wsdl
contents.

I wrote a simple stand-alone Java app to test the web service. Running
it gives these errors:
$ java FamilyClient
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/xml/rpc/client/BasicService;
nested exception is:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
com/sun/xml/rpc/client/BasicService
$
$

The only imports in my FamilyClient.java file are:

import java.net.InetAddress;
import java.net.UnknownHostException;
import java.rmi.RemoteException;
import java.util.Date;
import java.util.GregorianCalendar;

import javax.xml.rpc.ServiceException;

import disney.dis.family.Family;
import disney.dis.family.FamilyService;
import disney.dis.family.FamilyServiceLocator;

I don't know why it needs any of the com/sun/... classes. I do have
Sun JWSDP installed, but it's NOT in my CLASSPATH. I did a "jar tvf "
on every jar file in my tomcat/axis installation... in
/opt/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib

My CLASSPATH lists the AXIS libs before the JDK libs.

CLASSPATH=".:$FAMILY_HOME/classes"
CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH:$ANT_HOME/lib"
CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH:$AXIS_CLASSPATH:$LOG4J_LIB_P ATH"
CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH:$JAVA_HOME/lib"
CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH:$FAMILY_LIBS"
CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH:$NAUTILUS_LIBS"

No BasicService symbol in any of these jars. So where is the reference
made? I don't believe I need this because AXIS has its own
implementation of the JAX-RPC classes.

I suspect that's it's the server side requesting this class. The reason
I suspect is that my colleague is hitting the service from Python and
he's getting the same exception error.

We had this working before with NO changes to installed software. That
is, I have never used the JWSDP. I have it installed in /opt/jwsdp but
not referenced anywhere that I can find.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,