Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > web service question (weblogic / j2ee related)

web service question (weblogic / j2ee related)

cangoce@gmail.com

I am an experienced weblogic programmer but am not familiar with web
services. I developed a simple ejb in weblogic and converted it to web
services using the ant task servicegen. I am able to deploy the
application and access it through my browser.

Now suppose a third party client wants to use this web-service. Suppose
the third party client is a C or C++ program. How are they supposed to
access this new web service I have developed. Do they have to manually
open a TCP/IP connection and manually send request? And then the
client would receive the response and manually parse the resulting HTML
for his response?

Is this what is expected or am I missing something?

Thanks very much
Cangoce

James McGill

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 18:25 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> How are they supposed to
> access this new web service I have developed. Do they have to manually
> open a TCP/IP connection and manually send request? And then the
> client would receive the response and manually parse the resulting
> HTML
> for his response?

Manually? There are libraries for dealing with various kinds of
webservices for all kinds of languages. I'm partial to RPC-enabled
servlets with LWP perl clients, and Python clients with Twisted,
personally.

As for parsing the response, consider using XML instead of HTML.

tom fredriksen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Now suppose a third party client wants to use this web-service. Suppose
> the third party client is a C or C++ program. How are they supposed to
> access this new web service I have developed. Do they have to manually
> open a TCP/IP connection and manually send request? And then the
> client would receive the response and manually parse the resulting HTML
> for his response?
>
> Is this what is expected or am I missing something?

You should most definitely look up a web services guide or tutorial if
you are going to work with it.

If you look a the spec for f.ex. the SOAP part of web services, (WS is
mostly made up of three components SOAP, WSDL and UDDI, where SOAP is
the RPC part of it.). You will see that 90 percent of it is about
serialisation of data types. This means that all WS programming is done
by using a WS or SOAP library, which will deal with this for you. WSDL
is the definition of the contract of the server which you give to the
client so its WS tools can generate a proper SOAP stub for you. The rest
you need to read about.

/tom

sibob

Here are some good sites to learn some more about Web services....

www.xmethods.net
www.strikeiron.com
www.webservices.org

Bob