Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > method calls faster than a loop?

method calls faster than a loop?

Roedy Green

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:12:57 -0000, "Chris Uppal"
<(E-Mail Removed)-THIS.org> wrote, quoted or indirectly
quoted someone who said :

>> But I wonder whether anyone has ever seen a situation where a
>> serious bug or problem was caused by a forgotten »private«
>> keyword?

>I doubt it if happens often

It happens more this way. You work on the core class and modify it,
not thinking about the clients using it. You change the semantics of
some the method and adjust the callers accordingly. You don't charge
the method signature though. Everything compiles fine, it is just
that clients of the method OUTSIDE the class suddenly stop working.

IF the method you change is private there is no danger. If it is
public. you have to be careful to find all the clients. IntelliJ
won't find them all, just the ones in the current project. This is
where Eclipse shines.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Chris Uppal

Stefan Ram wrote:

> (It would be more clean to
> write a custom Doclet being aware of
> »@de.dclj.ram.meta.accessibility.Private«.)

The JavaDoc faq has some talk of an @exclude tag being considered.

-- chris

Scott Ellsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:28:10 -0000, "Daniel Dyer"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly
> quoted someone who said :
>
> >I would guess that the intention behind that inspection is more to do with
> >encapsulation than performance.

> It is a happy case where both goals are equally served.
>
> I am moving more toward making things private UNTIL I need the broader
> scope. It makes debugging and maintaining easier knowing there are no
> outsiders to consider.

I am as well - I find that all too often, code designed to be extended
ends up being poorly designed for the extension it eventually gets.
Code that starts out designed for a task which is then generalized has
the advantage of doing at least one thing well, and having a second
potential use case in mind when it is opened up.

Put another way, it is a lot easier to generalize software when you see
it working in the wild than it is to come up with the use cases you will
end up needing de nihilo.

> I used to make thing package and protected thinking about what you
> might want to use in some potential extension.

Yep. I did that as well, and got bitten one too many times.
Eventually, I realized that subclassing requires very careful thought
about just what the IS-A meant, in the context of an object.
Essentially, to make a good subclassable object, I had to have a very
clear division between implementation details and actual API, which
meant exposing a minimal API.

I did find that this got easier once I had IDEAs delegation features.

Scott

--
Scott Ellsworth
Java and database consulting for the life sciences