Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > color console output

color console output

mdx

Hello all

Is it possible to tell print() or println() in System.out to print stuff
out to the console in color? Please show me how. Thanks

-Jay

Niels Dybdahl

"mdx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:337Rf.382$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all
>
> Is it possible to tell print() or println() in System.out to print stuff
> out to the console in color? Please show me how. Thanks

You can do that with ANSI escape sequences if your console supports that.

Niels Dybdahl

IchBin

Niels Dybdahl wrote:
> "mdx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:337Rf.382$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello all
>>
>> Is it possible to tell print() or println() in System.out to print stuff
>> out to the console in color? Please show me how. Thanks

> You can do that with ANSI escape sequences if your console supports that.
>
> Niels Dybdahl

Never tried it. Don't think you can do it. I guess if you could write
some type of > VT220. I could be wrong.

--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Gordon Beaton

IchBin wrote:
> Never tried it. Don't think you can do it. I guess if you could
> write some type of > VT220. I could be wrong.

I believe you are. AFAIK an ANSI driver for "Windows" text consoles
has been available since MSDOS 2.0 or thereabouts.

/gordon

IchBin

Gordon Beaton wrote:
>> Niels Dybdahl wrote:
>> You can do that with ANSI escape sequences if your console supports
>> that.

> IchBin wrote:
>> Never tried it. Don't think you can do it. I guess if you could
>> write some type of > VT220. I could be wrong.

> I believe you are. AFAIK an ANSI driver for "Windows" text consoles
> has been available since MSDOS 2.0 or thereabouts.
>
> /gordon

Gordan.. Thanks for setting me straight.

--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

mcoolive mcoolive is offline
Junior Member

Hello,

It is an old post, so my answer is more for people that will Google on this subject.

I wrote an article on this suject recently. It provides a global understanding of the terminal, console colorisation and point other article on this subject.

http://blog.fastconnect.fr/?p=568&lang=en

---