Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > what the differences between C:\jre1.5.0_05 and C:\jdk1.5.0_05\jre?

what the differences between C:\jre1.5.0_05 and C:\jdk1.5.0_05\jre?

Guapo

I found most of the file in the two directory are same.
I want to know what's the differences between them.
great thanks to you.
if you wish,you can send me mail to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

tom fredriksen

Guapo wrote:
> I found most of the file in the two directory are same.
> I want to know what's the differences between them.
> great thanks to you.
> if you wish,you can send me mail to (E-Mail Removed)

AFAIK, there isn't much difference. The jre is the runtime system which
is intended to be installed on production servers and clients, while the
jdk is for development. The jre is just barebone, while the jdk contains
a lot more stuff, such as source code, and lots of development tools.

/tom

Abadi.mail@gmail.com

you can't convert the .java file to .class file without the jdk "java
develper kit"
but you can run the .class file without jdk

and always the jre must be installed in the clinet pc

Roedy Green

On 11 Mar 2006 06:14:31 -0800, "Guapo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html#WHYTHREE
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

M.Liang Liu

Is that to say that the designer of a system based JAVA does NOT need
to installer the jre on the server computer which is for testing?

Namelly,I do NOT need to install jre when I have installed the jdk,yup?

Mitch

M.Liang Liu wrote:
> Is that to say that the designer of a system based JAVA does NOT need
> to installer the jre on the server computer which is for testing?
>

> Namelly,I do NOT need to install jre when I have installed the jdk,yup?

Correct

Roedy Green

On 12 Mar 2006 17:23:22 -0800, "M.Liang Liu" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>Namelly,I do NOT need to install jre when I have installed the jdk,yup?

the JDK includes two jres.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Jon Martin Solaas

tom fredriksen wrote:
> Guapo wrote:
>> I found most of the file in the two directory are same.
>> I want to know what's the differences between them.
>> great thanks to you.
>> if you wish,you can send me mail to (E-Mail Removed)

> AFAIK, there isn't much difference. The jre is the runtime system which
> is intended to be installed on production servers and clients, while the
> jdk is for development. The jre is just barebone, while the jdk contains
> a lot more stuff, such as source code, and lots of development tools.
>
> /tom

If the server runs a web-container you'd definitely need the jdk,
otherwise it's going to be difficult to get jsp up and running (I guess
they could be pre-compiled, though ...)