Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Small Projects on JAVA

Small Projects on JAVA

deepz

hi,
am just a beginner in java.can u please suggest me some projects,so
that i can work around with that and get myself used to all the inbuilt
functions in it.Wanna get good hold an java programming.can u please
help me out.....?
regards,
deepz

Rhino

"deepz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> hi,
> am just a beginner in java.can u please suggest me some projects,so
> that i can work around with that and get myself used to all the inbuilt
> functions in it.Wanna get good hold an java programming.can u please
> help me out.....?
> regards,
> deepz

I think it's a very good idea that you find small projects to do; in my
opinion, this is an excellent way to learn and reinforce your Java skills.
I've been using this approach for many years.

I've always invented my own projects. I've conceived of projects in two main
ways:
1. I ask myself what programs I could write that would be useful to me right
now. For instance, if I was about to travel somewhere, I might have currency
conversions on my mind and might choose to write a currency converter for my
PDA.
2. I look at problems that my friends are having and try to think of
programs that might help them. For instance, if one of my friends had a huge
library of books or DVDs and was having trouble keeping track of what he
had, I might offer to write him a program to catalog his books or movies.
3. I've written games that looked like they might be fun to play or
interesting to program.

Other approaches you might want to try are:
- look at the Java API and see if any particular package catches your eye as
something that would be especially interesting to learn about; then try to
conceive of a project that would need that package
- look at newsgroup posts to get an idea of what classes are especially in
demand among employers; then try to conceive of a project that uses those
classes
- look at newsgroup posts to see what problems other people are solving and
try to solve them yourself, just for the challenge of it.
- look at tutorials for Java; sometimes they describe projects and/or
develop solutions to some aspects of these projects. For instance, the Java
Tutorial has a Bingo game project. You could write your own Bingo project
using as much or as little of the code from the tutorial as you like.

--
Rhino

Tom Cole

Write yourself a simple GUI that accepts user information (like an
address book) that stores the information in a database using JDBC.

Then allow the form to be filterable (i.e. they can press a filter
button and enter search criteria in each field, then unclick the filter
button to get a list of results) with arrow buttons (first, previous,
next, last) to scroll through the results.

This should be a good first project.

Roedy Green

On 10 Mar 2006 00:07:23 -0800, "deepz" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> am just a beginner in java.can u please suggest me some projects,so
>that i can work around with that and get myself used to all the inbuilt
>functions in it.Wanna get good hold an java programming.can u please
>help me out.....?

see http://mindprod.com/projects/projects.html

Most of the projects may be a little advanced for you at this stage.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

josh.s17@gmail.com

Using JDBC is a useful thing to learn for just about everyone but I'd
only learn to build a simple GUI if you are going to be working with
thick clients. I'd learn the build a simple web app (eg servlets/JSPs
etc.) first if you have no intention of working with thick clients