Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Compilers migrate other languages to JVM?

Compilers migrate other languages to JVM?

=?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?=

Hi,
Are there any compilers for building programs in Eiffel, Smalltalk or
C/C++ into JVM? I am curious about that. Thx!

Chris Uppal

moopT wrote:

> Are there any compilers for building programs in Eiffel, Smalltalk or
> C/C++ into JVM? I am curious about that. Thx!

I don't know of any for Eiffel or C/C++. If you are working with C++ and Java,
then Jace may interest you (I haven't used it myself, but it looks solid).
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jace
It doesn't run C++ on the JVM, but it's a very thorough JNI-based integration
of the two environments.

Mission software used to have a serious Smtalltalk implementation at:
http://www.missionsoft.com/stjvm.htm
but that has been in abeyance for a while. I don't know if more action is
expected from them or not. There is a very small, rather fun, toy[*]
implementation at:
http://budd.eecs.oregonstate.edu/~budd/SmallWorld/
"Bistro" is very, very, Smalltalk-like in many ways and runs on the JVM.
http://bistro.sourceforge.net/

There are several Lisp or Scheme implementations that run on the JVM. If you
start from GNU's Kawa then that'll probably have links to other
implementations.
http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/

There are several (or even lots) of languages which have been designed from the
ground up to run on the JVM (Java for one . The list is too long to
remember, but I don't think I've mentioned Scala before in this group, so I
have now.
http://www.robert-tolksdorf.de/vmlanguages.html

More information from IBM:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...=alt.lang.jre:
(URL may wrap, and you'll have to hit the <Submit> button to start the search)

Lastly, while chasing links for this, I found this article
http://www.cabochon.com/~stevey/sokoban/docs/intro.html
which is the intro to someone's attempt to compare several languages that run
on the JVM. It's an interesting read even if you aren't particularly exited by
running non-Java languages.

-- chris

([*] the word "toy" intended as a positive statement not as a criticism -- the
implementation is for interest and enternainment.)