Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > [Slightly OT]: App-server (JBoss) tutorial

[Slightly OT]: App-server (JBoss) tutorial

Dag Sunde

Can anyone reccomend a really hand-helding tutorial for
getting started with JBoss development?

Like "Look here kid... You create a file named index.jsp, fill
it with this code... See that strange tag? that calls an enterprise
bean. You make and deply one of those this way..."

A somewhat simple sample application that shows how all these things
are tied together from the (web) gui, via server business-components,
messaging and down to a potential backend db.?

--
Dag.

David Segall

"Dag Sunde" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can anyone reccomend a really hand-helding tutorial for
>getting started with JBoss development?
>
>Like "Look here kid... You create a file named index.jsp, fill
>it with this code... See that strange tag? that calls an enterprise
>bean. You make and deply one of those this way..."
>
>A somewhat simple sample application that shows how all these things
>are tied together from the (web) gui, via server business-components,
>messaging and down to a potential backend db.?

I hate people who don't answer the question but I recognize your name
from clvbm so I am encouraged to propose a different approach.
Download Java Studio Creator from
<http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jscreator/downloads/>.
Spend a week or two using it to write your own sample application.
Stick to the included application server and database. Now pull the
application you have written apart to find out what Studio Creator did
for you. The application server is from Sun not JBoss but they are all
Sun certified and obliged to provide mainly common components. You can
move your application to JBoss to discover the differences.

Dag Sunde

"David Segall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Dag Sunde" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone reccomend a really hand-helding tutorial for
>>getting started with JBoss development?
>>
>>Like "Look here kid... You create a file named index.jsp, fill
>>it with this code... See that strange tag? that calls an enterprise
>>bean. You make and deply one of those this way..."
>>
>>A somewhat simple sample application that shows how all these things
>>are tied together from the (web) gui, via server business-components,
>>messaging and down to a potential backend db.?

> I hate people who don't answer the question but I recognize your name
> from clvbm so I am encouraged to propose a different approach.
> Download Java Studio Creator from
> <http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jscreator/downloads/>.
> Spend a week or two using it to write your own sample application.
> Stick to the included application server and database. Now pull the
> application you have written apart to find out what Studio Creator did
> for you. The application server is from Sun not JBoss but they are all
> Sun certified and obliged to provide mainly common components. You can
> move your application to JBoss to discover the differences.

Thanks, David!

I think I'll do that...

> I hate people who don't answer the question but I recognize your name
> from clvbm so I am encouraged to propose a different approach.

Do you mean by this that I am a big enough boy to go out there and figure
it out myself?

--
Dag.

David Segall

"Dag Sunde" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"David Segall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> I hate people who don't answer the question but I recognize your name
>> from clvbm so I am encouraged to propose a different approach.

>Do you mean by this that I am a big enough boy to go out there and figure
>it out myself?

Sorry, it was a rather cryptic remark. I actually meant that you would
not be ashamed to use a visual design tool to create a program. There
are several posters here and in alt.html who believe that developing
with anything other than a text editor, a command line compiler and a
browser is immoral. Of course, I knew from the _content_ of your clvbm
posts that you were capable of figuring it out for yourself.

Dag Sunde

"David Segall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Dag Sunde" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"David Segall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> I hate people who don't answer the question but I recognize your name
>>> from clvbm so I am encouraged to propose a different approach.

>>Do you mean by this that I am a big enough boy to go out there and figure
>>it out myself?
>>

> Sorry, it was a rather cryptic remark. I actually meant that you would
> not be ashamed to use a visual design tool to create a program. There
> are several posters here and in alt.html who believe that developing
> with anything other than a text editor, a command line compiler and a
> browser is immoral. Of course, I knew from the _content_ of your clvbm
> posts that you were capable of figuring it out for yourself.

I sort of guessed so...

I was just lazy (and pressed for time durin working hours, so I
thought I have my cake, and eat it too...

But when it comes to learning, I usually tend to agree with those
preaching text-editor and API-doc. No lesson is better remembered than
the ones you actually had to work for...

The difference between "See and semember" vs. "Do and remember" can't
be overstated.

--
Dag.

Jon Martin Solaas

Dag Sunde wrote:

> Can anyone reccomend a really hand-helding tutorial for
> getting started with JBoss development?
>
> Like "Look here kid... You create a file named index.jsp, fill
> it with this code... See that strange tag? that calls an enterprise
> bean. You make and deply one of those this way..."
>
> A somewhat simple sample application that shows how all these things
> are tied together from the (web) gui, via server business-components,
> messaging and down to a potential backend db.?

Basically it sounds like you need a J2EE tutorial. When you have managed
to build your own enterprise java application archive, the jboss-part is
actually narrowed down to copying the file into the jboss deploy
directory (and set up resources like datasources etc. ...). What to put
in your jsp-file is definitely not JBOSS specific.

There is a J2EE tutorial at Sun, which covers all aspects of J2EE, it's
quite huge.

I recommend getting hold of a J2EE capable IDE. It'll make things much
easier for you. Some people will argue that it's better to learn all the
details first, and then use an IDE later, but there are so many details
to get right (deployment descriptors and stuff) that I'd rather argue
you dig into that when you have grokked the basics.

Sun has some IDE tool for J2EE. Eclipse has a JBOSS plugin and various
forms of J2EE support. Oracle JDeveloper (otn.oracle.com) is my
favourite, and Oracle has lots of tutorials for almost everything.