Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > pls help regarding instruction

pls help regarding instruction

jayipee@gmail.com

I have installed the latest version of knoppix. it's a debian based
distro. now I want to run tomcat on my server to run servlet.

I have already installed tomcat4 but in the instructions given from
this site: http://cymulacrum.net/writings/tomcat4/c260.html I don't
know what it means under this line: 4.2.2. Adding a Context inside
server.xml. I look for server.xml and I can see it under /etc/tomcat4/
and also in /var/lib/tomcat4/conf/server.xml which makes me confuse
which one to edit or if this is the right file to edit. When looking
through the file I don't know also what to put there. The instruction
to put to that file is this:

<!-- MyFirst Context -->

<Context path="/MyFirst" docBase="MyFirst" debug="0" reloadable="true"
/>

And also the web.xml under this line 4.2.3. Creating a web.xml file for
the web application.

I can put my server.xml and web.xml here if you like.

Thanks in advance.

SMC

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 11:52:32 +1100, jayipee wrote:

> I have installed the latest version of knoppix. it's a debian based
> distro. now I want to run tomcat on my server to run servlet.
>
> I have already installed tomcat4 but in the instructions given from this
> site: http://cymulacrum.net/writings/tomcat4/c260.html I don't know what
> it means under this line: 4.2.2. Adding a Context inside server.xml. I
> look for server.xml and I can see it under /etc/tomcat4/ and also in
> /var/lib/tomcat4/conf/server.xml which makes me confuse which one to
> edit or if this is the right file to edit.

You'll probably find that /var/lib/tomcat4/conf is a symlink to
/etc/tomcat4, so whichever you edit, it's the same file.

> When looking through the file
> I don't know also what to put there. The instruction to put to that file
> is this:
>
> <!-- MyFirst Context -->
>
> <Context path="/MyFirst" docBase="MyFirst" debug="0" reloadable="true"
> />

Add the above line inside the <Host> tags in the server.xml

You'll probably have an entry similar to:

<Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true">

so just put your Context after that. There may already be an example one
in there, so you could add it before that one.

> And also the web.xml under this line 4.2.3. Creating a web.xml file for
> the web application.

This is a file you need to create. Just create the file and drop in the
content they provide. This file will go in

$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/MyFirst/WEB-INF/

--
Sean

Work expands to occupy the time available - Parkinson's 1st law

jayipee@gmail.com

Thank you very much for the reply. I can't find this line under host:

<!-- Tomcat Root Context -->
<!--
<Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0">
-->

So I added it together with:

<!-- MyFirst Context -->

<Context path="/MyFirst" docBase="MyFirst" debug="0" reloadable="true"
/>

The instruction also said that I have to access that on port 8080 but
after running startup.sh can running netstat I can't find port 8080
opened.

And also what is the right path of JAVA_HOME ? because when I run
startup.sh it says:

The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined
This environment variable is needed to run this program

I don't know if this is the right command to enter in the terminal:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/kaffe/

Thanks again.

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:23:11 +1100, jayipee wrote:

> Thank you very much for the reply. I can't find this line under host:
>
> <!-- Tomcat Root Context -->
> <!--
> <Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0">
> -->
>
> So I added it together with:
>
> <!-- MyFirst Context -->
>
> <Context path="/MyFirst" docBase="MyFirst" debug="0" reloadable="true"
> />
>
> The instruction also said that I have to access that on port 8080 but
> after running startup.sh can running netstat I can't find port 8080
> opened.

Look for the <Connector> tags in your server.xml. Make sure there is one
and it's uncommented. It should be something like

<Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnect or"
debug="0" connectionTimeout="10000"
useURIValidationHack="false"/>

Check the port attribute value.

> And also what is the right path of JAVA_HOME ? because when I run
> startup.sh it says:
>
> The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined This environment
> variable is needed to run this program
>
> I don't know if this is the right command to enter in the terminal:
>
> export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/kaffe/

You should probably add this to your shell profile (e.g. .bash_profile).

--
Sean

The users that I support would double-click on a landmine to see what it
did. --slashdot poster