Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Generics Info request

Generics Info request

Mike Schilling

Does anyone know of a resource that explains the ideas behind Java generics,
that is:

* The intended user model
* New concepts required for this user model
* Generics ideas which were rejected, and why
* The way the user model is mapped into JVM behavior
* JVM changes required for generics
* The places where the user model was compromised (e.g. for
compatibility)
* Future plans for generics (if any)

That is, something which will make generics seem less like a twisty maze of
special cases.

Timo Stamm

Mike Schilling schrieb:
> Does anyone know of a resource that explains the ideas behind Java generics,
> that is:
>
> * The intended user model
> * New concepts required for this user model
> * Generics ideas which were rejected, and why
> * The way the user model is mapped into JVM behavior
> * JVM changes required for generics
> * The places where the user model was compromised (e.g. for
> compatibility)
> * Future plans for generics (if any)
>
> That is, something which will make generics seem less like a twisty maze of
> special cases.

Do you know the generics tutorial from sun?

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/pdf/generics-tutorial.pdf

Mike Schilling

"Timo Stamm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43fcd389$0$500$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> Mike Schilling schrieb:
>> Does anyone know of a resource that explains the ideas behind Java
>> generics, that is:
>>
>> * The intended user model
>> * New concepts required for this user model
>> * Generics ideas which were rejected, and why
>> * The way the user model is mapped into JVM behavior
>> * JVM changes required for generics
>> * The places where the user model was compromised (e.g. for
>> compatibility)
>> * Future plans for generics (if any)
>>
>> That is, something which will make generics seem less like a twisty maze
>> of special cases.

> Do you know the generics tutorial from sun?
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/pdf/generics-tutorial.pdf

It's OK as far as it goes; I'd like something much deeper.

Chris Uppal

Mike Schilling wrote:

> Does anyone know of [... big snip ...] something which will make
> generics seem less like a twisty maze of special cases.

Have you tried alcohol ?

Failing that, have you seen Neil Grafter's comments in his blog . By no means
covering all your requests, but it has some fairly interesting reflections.

http://gafter.blogspot.com/

-- chris

Roedy Green

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 00:29:56 GMT, "Mike Schilling"
someone who said :

>Does anyone know of a resource that explains the ideas behind Java generics,
>that is:

what I have found so far you can find links for at
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/generics.html
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.