Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java MVC frameworks for desktop apps

Java MVC frameworks for desktop apps

petermichaux@yahoo.com

Hi,

>From what I understand, Struts is MVC framework for developing

server-side apps. What MVC frameworks are popular for developing Java
desktop apps? Is there a standard?

Thanks,
Peter

tom fredriksen

> Hi,
>
>>From what I understand, Struts is MVC framework for developing

> server-side apps. What MVC frameworks are popular for developing Java
> desktop apps? Is there a standard?

All the different web or MVC frameworks have different characteristics
depending on what features and what point of view the author thinks is
most important. E.g. Struts is a heavyweight Model 2 MVC framework,
while f.ex tomcat is considered a lighter mvc framework than struts.
There are some real lightweight frameworks starting to pop up, because
more and more people are a bit tired of the heavyweight systems, eg.
spring. What you need to do first and foremost is read an article or two
about MVC and its different types. Then you can look at some frameworks
to figure out which you want to use.

Look at wikipedia.org and search for "web application framework" and
"mvc" (model-view-controller) and you will find some more info to look at.

/tom

petermichaux@yahoo.com

Any keywords/names for Java *desktop* app MVC's? (maybe the same as the
web frameworks?)

Alvin Ryder

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >From what I understand, Struts is MVC framework for developing

> server-side apps. What MVC frameworks are popular for developing Java
> desktop apps? Is there a standard?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Swing. It's the standard and it does more for desktop apps than Struts
does for web apps. Struts really only focuses on the "C" part of MVC
whereas Swing has strong support for the View and Controller.

tom fredriksen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Any keywords/names for Java *desktop* app MVC's? (maybe the same as the
> web frameworks?)

Sorry, I did not notice the word "desktop" there, until just now

/tom