Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Terminating an Applet

Terminating an Applet

Ike

I need to update a db table when someone terminates an applet, either by
going to another web page in that instance of the browswer - OR - when
someone simply kills the browser.

Is there a means by which i can be certain to write to this db table when
someone exits an applet. I have tried Applet.destroy() but that doesnt seem
to work when someone merely kills the browser. Thanks, Ike

Chris Smith

Ike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I need to update a db table when someone terminates an applet, either by
> going to another web page in that instance of the browswer - OR - when
> someone simply kills the browser.
>
> Is there a means by which i can be certain to write to this db table when
> someone exits an applet. I have tried Applet.destroy() but that doesnt seem
> to work when someone merely kills the browser. Thanks, Ike

You need something that can be observed from the outside. Have the
applet open a network connection back to its server, and put some code
on the server to send a "heartbeat"... a short network message that
applet will respond to, verifying that it's still alive. If the
heartbeat isn't returned of there's an IOException on the socket, then
the applet is probably gone.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation