Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Eclipse vs netbeans

Eclipse vs netbeans

Richie

I trying decide which java IDE to use. I want to hear from other
programmer's opinions.

1. Which has the best support, eclipse or netbeans?

2. Which is easy to use and has a low learning curve, eclipse or
netbeans?

3. Which is the best in terms of developing plug-ins for the IDE,
eclipse or netbeans?

4. Which has the best visual editor, eclipse or netbeans?

5.. Which is the best in terms of developing enterprise java beans or
EJBs, eclipse or netbeans?

6. Which is the best in terms of developing java server pages or JSPs,
eclipse or netbeans?

David Segall

"Richie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I trying decide which java IDE to use. I want to hear from other
>programmer's opinions.

We would all like to have an objective opinion on this point but it is
unlikely that anybody actually uses all (or even both) of them. I have
provide a "complete" list of IDE's at http://ide.profectus.com.au. I
use NetBeans and have answered your questions accordingly.

>1. Which has the best support, eclipse or netbeans?

The NetBeans mailing list is monitored by the developers and I have
not observed an unanswered question. That does not mean that there are
none and it certainly does not mean that it is superior to the Eclipse
equivalent since I don't follow it.
>2. Which is easy to use and has a low learning curve, eclipse or
>netbeans?

I don't know but I did settle on NetBeans when I started partly
because it seemed to more closely resemble the Visual Basic IDE that I
was used to. The answer should be Eclipse because it is simpler "out
of the box" than NetBeans.

>3. Which is the best in terms of developing plug-ins for the IDE,
>eclipse or netbeans?
>
>4. Which has the best visual editor, eclipse or netbeans?

I think I can say, definitely NetBeans. Version 5 includes a new
visual editor
<http://www.netbeans.org/community/releases/50/index.html#matisse>.
The new visual editor required a new layout manager but, because
NetBeans is sponsored by Sun, it is likely that the new layout manager
will become a standard Swing component.

>5.. Which is the best in terms of developing enterprise java beans or
>EJBs, eclipse or netbeans?
>
>6. Which is the best in terms of developing java server pages or JSPs,
>eclipse or netbeans?

NetBeans comes with support for EJB's and other web based technologies
including JSP, JSF and JSTL. I believe that Eclipse has plug-ins for
them and they may be better then NetBeans.

Thomas Kellerer

On 14.02.2006 16:25 David Segall wrote:
>> 6. Which is the best in terms of developing java server pages or JSPs,
>> eclipse or netbeans?

> NetBeans comes with support for EJB's and other web based technologies
> including JSP, JSF and JSTL. I believe that Eclipse has plug-ins for
> them and they may be better then NetBeans.

I personally find it a pain to install the correct plugins for Eclipse
supporting JSP, EJB's etc. There are several out there and the last time
I tried it (two months ago or so), the download for just the JSP plugin
was twice as big as the whole NetBeans download.

Thomas

--
It's not a RootKit - it's a Sony

Roedy Green

On 13 Feb 2006 10:20:12 -0800, "Richie" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>1. Which has the best support, eclipse or netbeans?

Which makes the best wife? quiet or vivacious?
blond or red head?

try dating! Only you know what you like.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Richie

thank you all for your responses