Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > what smtp and pop3 server to run on linux for creating mail server

what smtp and pop3 server to run on linux for creating mail server

pk

hi
mania,myself and one other are creating a linux mail server in java on
linux FC3.
we want to know how we can run a smtp and pop3 server on our server
machine.
what servers can we run for this purpose.please give details.
we are publishing pages in JSP using tomcat server.

christopher@dailycrossword.com

I think we have translation problems. If you are creating a mail
server, why do you need to know how to run mail servers? If you mean,
what do I need to know in order to comply with smtp and pop standards,
the documents are refered to by their RFC numbers. search "rfc smtp"
and you get technical documents relating to the smtp protocols.

at no time would you use tomcat or jsp to handle smtp or pop requests.
These would be handled by deamon processes running on your linux
server. Writing a java program to handle incoming smtp requests would
be possible, but silly. I use sendmail and qpopper. Does anybody not
use sendmail?

Look through your linux docs for setting up the smtp and pop daemons
that come with the distribution. Use tomcat and JSP for web services.

pk

hi,
our project is titled linux mail server and thats why i had written
that we are creating a mail server.
I wanted to know how to keep the daemon processes running.
We are using FC3.how do we configure it.

Roedy Green

On 12 Feb 2006 23:02:59 -0800, "pk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,

>hi
>mania,myself and one other are creating a linux mail server in java on
>linux FC3.
>we want to know how we can run a smtp and pop3 server on our server
>machine.
>what servers can we run for this purpose.please give details.
>we are publishing pages in JSP using tomcat server.

Rarely would you write one from scratch, unless, possibly, it was
just to send an canned alert email to the site administrator. You use
the JavaMail classes.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javamail.html

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.