Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > stand-alone JMS, other JDBC operations, and transactions ( ActiveMQ + JOTM + JDBC operations )

stand-alone JMS, other JDBC operations, and transactions ( ActiveMQ + JOTM + JDBC operations )

Jesus M. Salvo Jr.

I need JDBC operations to be included with JMS transactions.

The quick answer would be to use JTA ... but I am not using any application
server nor any transaction manager.

Furthermore, I only have one database ( Sybase ), and I would like to use
Sybase via JConnect JDBC as the persistence for ActiveMQ, but also use the
same Sybase database for JDBC operations ... and have these external JDBC
operations and JMS sessions "combined into a single transaction". ( That is,
when I consume a message from the queue, I would do other JDBC
operations ... and that all of these should be treated as one
transaction ).

The closest thing that I can find is JOTM, an open source Java Transaction
Manager JTA implementation.

Has anyone used ActiveMQ *+ JOTM ( no other appserver, no JNDI, etc. ) and
have JMS transactions and JDBC transactions managed by JOTM ??

What I am also concerned about is that, at the time that the article was
published and when the feedbacks were posted, according to someone ( from a
commercial competitor ) at that time, JOTM does not provide recovery:

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2...ns.html?page=2

Things must have changed since then for JOTM, and it appears it already
provides recovery .. though since I am no expert with XA or JTA, I do not
know if the recovery provided by JOTM is up to the required standard.

Ian Mills

Jesus M. Salvo Jr. wrote:
> I need JDBC operations to be included with JMS transactions.
>
> The quick answer would be to use JTA ... but I am not using any application
> server nor any transaction manager.
>
> Furthermore, I only have one database ( Sybase ), and I would like to use
> Sybase via JConnect JDBC as the persistence for ActiveMQ, but also use the
> same Sybase database for JDBC operations ... and have these external JDBC
> operations and JMS sessions "combined into a single transaction". ( That is,
> when I consume a message from the queue, I would do other JDBC
> operations ... and that all of these should be treated as one
> transaction ).
>
> The closest thing that I can find is JOTM, an open source Java Transaction
> Manager JTA implementation.
>
> Has anyone used ActiveMQ + JOTM ( no other appserver, no JNDI, etc. ) and
> have JMS transactions and JDBC transactions managed by JOTM ??
>
> What I am also concerned about is that, at the time that the article was
> published and when the feedbacks were posted, according to someone ( from a
> commercial competitor ) at that time, JOTM does not provide recovery:
>
> http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2...ns.html?page=2
>

> Things must have changed since then for JOTM, and it appears it already
> provides recovery .. though since I am no expert with XA or JTA, I do not
> know if the recovery provided by JOTM is up to the required standard.

The way I have done this in the past is to read the message off the
queue, do the requied database operations, commit to the database and
then consume the message from the queue. If anything fails during the
database operations do a rollback and leave the message on the queue.
Admitedly this does leave a slight possibility that the data could be
commited to the database and the system crashing before the message is
consumed. There may be other ways of doing this but this is a simple
method of combining the two in to the same transaction.

robert

Jesus M. Salvo Jr. escreveu:

> I need JDBC operations to be included with JMS transactions.
>
> The quick answer would be to use JTA ... but I am not using any application
> server nor any transaction manager.

I've never used JTOM, but I have used the transaction manager from the
spring framework, with lots of success.

http://www.springframework.org/docs/...ansaction.html

Spring also has a lot of support for activemq:

http://activemq.org/Spring+Support

HTH,
robert
http://www.braziloutsource.com/

ANN: new Delphi(tm) JMS (Java Message Service) client libraries forApache ActiveMQ and OpenMQ message brokers Michael Justin Java 12 11-26-2009 03:40 AM
[slightly OT] ActiveMQ limiting the topic size Giovanni Azua Java 1 10-17-2009 11:02 AM
ibatis and activemq in local transaction using the same database... alex Java 0 09-01-2008 02:00 PM
ActiveMQ question wish Java 0 06-25-2007 05:19 PM
Getting ActiveMQ over HTTP (Tunnel) with HttpEmbeddedTunnelServlet and Jetty to work Christian U. Ullenboom Java 0 04-11-2005 01:55 PM

Advertisments