Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > How to deploy Java Applications To People?

How to deploy Java Applications To People?

res7cxbi@verizon.net

How do you deploy Java Applications to other people? I don't think
average people is gonna open up the command line and type in "java"
everytime they want to run it.

Ranganath Kini

There are two main ways:

1. Using a MS-DOS .BAT file or shell script: This provides a simpler
way to launch the java application. As we can have the "java" command
run thru the .BAT file.

2. Using a native launcher stub: Here a native executable program is
created in C++ whose sole purpose is to invoke the java application and
pass the command line parameters if any. There are many commercial
launcher solutions for example:

exe4j - gives u additional features such as splash screens, custom
process name (instead of java.exe), etc. See here for more info:
http://www.ej-technologies.com/produ.../overview.html

Roedy Green

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/installer.html
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Thomas Hawtin

Ranganath Kini wrote:

> 1. Using a MS-DOS .BAT file or shell script: This provides a simpler
> way to launch the java application. As we can have the "java" command
> run thru the .BAT file.

For simple situations, just supplying a jar is easier. One file.
Double-click and you're off (so long as they have Java installed, and
nothing has stolen the file association).

Tom Hawtin
--
Unemployed English Java programmer
http://jroller.com/page/tackline/